Chapter 9: Last Name Wayne

Start from the beginning

She couldn't just tell Tom and Sabine about the event now! Sabine has taken Bridgette to the doctor while Tom has gone off to drop off some cakes.

There was no time for them to make it to-

Why was she worried? Why now out of all times? This had happened before...many times before.

During these types of events, Tom was never able to make it since he used to run the bakery by himself while Amira attended Gotham Academy.

And Bruce...Bruce was never in the loop about these events...not like he was able to attend them...

So why was she so worried about not having someone come in? Why did it bother her so much now that she was older?

"Hey Mari- Marinette, is everything alright?" Adrien asked her, snapping out of her thoughts.

"Alright class, settle down!"

"Neither of my parents could make it to the event." Marinette found herself saying, surprising herself. Despite only talking to Adrien during labs or during fencing, Marinette felt as if she'd talked to him plenty of times before.

"You too? My father said he wasn't going to waste his time coming here." Adrien sheepishly said, pulling Marinette to his seat. "Want to tell Mlle Bustier about it?" Marinette found herself nodding, following Adrien to tell Ms.Bustier their dilemma.

Ms.Bustier took the news calmly, telling the two that it was alright and understood that their parents couldn't come. "Sometimes things just don't work out and that's alright. There's always a next time." She instructed the two to sit together, letting Nino know about the temporary change in seats.

Sitting next to Adrien, Marinette didn't know what to do. While she felt comfortable sitting next to him, something inside of her warned her that something was off.

Marinette let the idea slip as she took out her notebook, in case she needed to jot something down or doodle if she got bored during the presentations.

-----

"My bracelet! It's gone!" Chloe screeched, causing Marinette to jump a bit. She had gotten some inspiration for a new design when she saw Chloe show off a bracelet her father gave her during her turn. "You! You probably took it!" Chloe screamed, pointing at Marinette.

Oh how badly she wanted to roll her eyes. Of course Chloe would want to blame her, as if she didn't feel her eyes burning the back of her head.

Yes, she knew about the jealousy Chloe felt the moment she saw her sitting next to Adrien, Chloe's best friend.

"Now why would I want to steal a bracelet that I could easily-"

"So you did take it!" Chloe cut off, jumping to conclusions. "You! You're a cop! Arrest her!" Chloe demanded Sabrina's dad to do it.

"But I can't do that!" M.Raincomprix argued. "Without proper evidence, I can't-"

"Daddy! Do something!" Chloe whined, causing Marinette to laugh. "What's so funny Dupain-Cheng?"

"Are you seriously going to keep doing this every time something doesn't go your way Chloe? Isn't there a single thing you can do without having to ask someone else to do it for you? Then again, I get it. You're an ungrateful spoiled brat."

"Excuse me?" Chloé huffed, turning to her father, glaring at him. Mayor Bourgeois began to panic, quickly turning back to M.Raincomprix.

"As Mayor and therefore your superior, I demand you arrest this young lady at once!"

"Now Mr.Bourgeois, now be sensible. What exactly will you gain from this?" Marinatte asked, watching as the Mayor looked between his daughter and loyal law enforcer, panicking on what he deemed right.