Chapter 5: Overprotection

Start from the beginning

Amira went back down, looking at the place she had to call her room. The tall ceiling loomed over her, as if laughing at her.

"How are you doing, Amira?" Tom asked her in French, Amira turning ever so slightly to look at the baker. Right, how did she forget? This was Tom's hometown. Of course he would feel at home here in Paris while she didn't.

"Doing alright?" Sabine asked, holding their daughter in her arms. She really forgot about her too, didn't she?

Amira looked at the couple, letting a smile form on her lips.

"I'm doing alright, Papa, Maman. If anything, just taking in the view." Amira lied through her teeth.

That's right. She couldn't make any trouble for her host parents. While she knew Tom since she was a toddler, she was still figuring out Sabine.

Tom met the woman years ago and married her just two years ago. A year into their marriage, they had Bridgette. Of course, the Dupain-Chengs knew that Amira would once again use their surname while in Paris. It will be a bit confusing, but they knew it would be fine as long as the name was used for school purposes only.

Documents for school were easier to forge than for those for the government, or so Bruce once told them.

"Well, if you need anything," Tom started.

"We will be right downstairs." Sabine finished.

With that, the two went down the stairs, leaving Amira to unpack her things.

So this was her new life.

As she unpacked her things, she found Jason's old journal with a worn out bookmark in her hands. She watched as her tears hit the surface of the journal.

"Jason...just what am I supposed to do?"

——-

Dick couldn't take it anymore, hell, he wanted to do this when he first heard about Amira leaving the country against her will. Of course, he couldn't do anything when Alfred practically threatened him if Dick ever did what he was currently doing.

Barging into Bruce's study, Dick didn't care if Bruce was in the middle of a phone call. Ending the call, Dick made Bruce look at him.

"What the hell made you think sending Amira by herself to Paris was a good idea?" Dick growled, hating that Bruce remained indifferent.

With a sigh, Bruce set down the phone.

"She's not alone. She's with Tom and his wife. They'll take good care of her."

"That isn't the point here Bruce! You've literally sent Amira across the Atlantic, away from all the people she knew as family, just because it would give you a peace of mind?"

"It was necessary."

"It was extreme, even for you!" Dick gritted. "Amira needs us to be by her side, not across an ocean, all by herself!"

"If that's what you came here to talk about, I suggest you leave. I have an important call to-"

"Fine! Be that way! Dick yelled, slamming the door behind as he left the study.

He couldn't believe it. He really couldn't.

Sending Amira to a place she didn't know, a place where she would have trouble with adjusting to all on her own?

How could Bruce do this to her?

Once in his room, Dick huffed, pacing around his room in attempts to calm himself down. As he kept pacing around, he noticed his suitcase peering from under his bed.