XVIII. Completion

June 7 th , 2004

He tries not to show his surprise when she sits across from him in the cafeteria. Her tray clacks against the table and he tries to focus on that, instead of the way her curls form a thick curtain down the side of her face, or how the vanilla is a smidge stronger than the cinnamon today. How odd. He decides he likes the cinnamon better, before he remembers that he wanted to avoid noticing all this in the first place.

"Did you get it?"

"Get what," he asks, though he knows exactly what she's talking about.

"Your birthday gift."

He nods.

"Did you enjoy it?"

He nods.

"Baked it myself," she says with a definitive air of self-satisfaction. Or maybe it's pride. "Molly's been teaching me some stuff, you know, because I am a naturally awful cook. I burn almost everything I attempt to make."

He's silent as he pushes his mashed potatoes around on his plate.

"Kingsley wanted me to tell you that our report on the Thompson Case was excellent," she says, stabbing at her salad. "He wants us to take all the cases of that sort now."

"That sort" meaning Magical Creature Rights. He delves into the legal aspects and she delves into the moral ones. If he thought himself the romantic sort, he would say they complete each other.

"He's considering taking us off our current positions and letting us work together like this all the time. He says he can raise our pay by twenty per-cent if we'd like. I'm thinking about taking the job," she says with a shrug. "How about you?"

"I'll have to think about it," he replies curtly. "Now if you'll excuse me..." he rises to dump his (unfinished) lunch and makes sure that Hermione isn't following him when he boards the lift back to his office.