2.9 | day 10

solána:

megan was doing my makeup, rushing back and forth between me and her makeup bag. i hadn't gotten around to telling her that i'd finally committed to the person i literally failed to commit to for nearly a year. i had gotten through the majority of my speech last night but i struggled with my final words, and didn't finish until i woke up in the wee hours of the morning, nearly suffocated by jacques's back. "megan, i did something yesterday," i said.

"oh, is that why you ignored everybody for the whole weekend? everybody i asked said they couldn't get in contact with you," megan said.

"yeah... about that-"

"wait," megan said, taking the cap off of her setting spray. i closed my eyes and she sprayed. "go ahead,"

i stood up. "i was with- oh shit," my phone had fell out of my lap and i bent down to pick it up.

"with?" she said, turning to look at me.

"i was with jacques," i said, and she raised an eyebrow.

"somehow, i figured," she said, as i stood in the mirror, taking the clips out of my hair.

"he asked me to be his girlfriend," i said. i felt like now wasn't a good time to draw out the story.

megan froze in the spot she was in. "he asked you to be his girlfriend?" she said, looking at me.

"i said yes," i said.

"you said yes?" she said, standing up straight.

"you keep repeating everything i say," i said.

"sol, you've told me a lot of things i can't wrap my head around and this is certainly one of them," megan said.

"he brought it up out of the random. we were talking about me hiding from everybody, how i felt about my dad, how he was feeling, and he randomly popped the question," i said.

"are you feeling confident about this, sol?" megan asked. i'd thought about it for a while yesterday. the more i thought about it, the more i realized that i was more confident about this than i thought. this was what i wanted, and i got it, and i felt good about it.

"yes, very," i responded.

"well, if you feel confident and you feel happy with him, then i support the two of you," megan said.

"really?" i said,

"yes, duh," she said.

"is he even coming to graduation?" he asked.

"yeah, he said he's getting his hair redone right now," i said.

i had talked to my dad about everything, from my reasoning for hiding, to jacques wanting a relationship with me. i talked to him about his unavailability and how it was affecting me, and he understood virtually everything that i was telling him and promised that he would make more of an effort to be around for me while i was still home for the summer.

"did you actually check this time?" megan asked.

"i talked to him like 5 minutes ago," i said.

"i'm just making sure," megan said.

"i won't make the same mistake this time meg," i said.

"pinkie promise?" megan said. i hooked my pinkie onto hers.

"pinkie promise,"

i had just finished my salutatory. because i wasn't too much of a "public speaker" my heart was pounding, damn near loud enough for me to almost not even hear the round of applause i had been met with. i smiled, and walked off of the stage and back to my seat. the ceremony commenced.