The Call Up

-Dayna-

"Day! Over here!"

The ball flew perfectly to my teammates foot as she tapped it into the back of the net. Our team ran to celebrate our third goal of the match. We were playing a few pre-season friendlies with top-notch universities from around the country. Being a midfielder for Florida State has been a wild ride to say the least, the amount of top tier players that get scouted from a little school in Tallahassee is record breaking.

I was taken out of my thoughts when the final whistle blew and I felt a body jump onto my back.

"Hey Day! What a match, you absolutely killed it!"

My best friend Jaelin, as some of you may know her from her more recent and consistent call ups to the US youth national teams and now the senior squad, is the reason I've made it as far as I have.

"Jae, you're a MONSTER on the pitch. That slide tackle practically wiped three girls out" I said, while laughing and carrying her heavy ass to the sidelines.

I can feel her body shake with laugher as she hops off and gives me a hug. It's a bit of a post-game ritual, we spend a few moments appreciating each other's presence and being grateful for where we're at. Before you ask, no, we're not dating. Jae, or JJ, is very straight and I am very not, plus she's practically a sister to me.

"Day! Jae! Get your asses over here, we've got a post-game celebration to attend too!" our teammate Jamie screams, "you two are in charge of music!"

We run make out way over to the rest of the girls and head back into the locker rooms. Each girl grabs a quick shower and changes into more comfortable clothes, the entire time music blaring and loud singing fills the space. Once we're finally all ready, have a quick team meeting, and are a lot less disgusting, we make our way to the parking lot due to the fact it was a home game.

"So Day," Jaelin starts, "I was thinking when we get home we should make a killer post-game meal and watch tv, I really don't feel like doing schoolwork." she says.

We both hop into her car and I remember, "Aren't you supposed to be getting a call about next months camp today?" She turns to me with sheepish eyes, quickly nods and turns away.

"I was hoping it would be a good match and hopefully a good call, which is why I didn't want to ruin it with schoolwork!" she says, playfully rolling her eyes. I could tell she was acting a bit weird but I decided it was probably because we were both starving and exhausted from the grueling Florida heat.

"Sounds like a good day to me!" I say. We finally reach our shared apartment which is only about 10 minutes from campus. We both get out and grab our bags as we head inside.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a Gatorade out of the refrigerator, blue for Jae and Orange for me. "Thanks Day!" We pop onto the couch and scroll through netflix for awhile.

"OO! How about Gossip Girl?" she asks. "JJ, we've seen it like six times through!" I state.

"OO! How about Vampire Diaries?" she asks again. "We've been through that too!" I argue.

This is how it usually goes until we finally either agree on something or one of us falls asleep. Ever since we met my freshman year, Jae has made it a point to teach me all about pop culture, binge-worthy shows, music, social media, all the things I didn't have access to before I reached college.

We finally decided on Victorious which is apparently something that would "give me gay panic" according to Jae and got comfy on the couch.

"I feel like you would totally go for a girl like Jade," Jae states. I laugh, "What is that supposed to mean!"