Risky Business

Something didn't feel right as everyone mounted their means of travel. Well first of all, I was a boy. That could have contributed to my not feeling right. But as I slipped the gun into my back pocket, a chilling air passed by. I gripped on to Moody as we all left number 4 Privet Drive, and kicked off the broom. Everyone went in their seperate ways, to their different safe houses for the portkey. Mad-Eye told me that we were going straight to the Weasley's house.

I nearly fell off the broom as a death eater materialized out of thin air. I ripped the gun out of my pocket and shot him in the head before he could raise his wand.

"Don't give yourself away!" Mad-Eye shouted before the next round of death eaters appeared.

That was the drill. I shot, and Mad-Eye shielded the attacks. I was getting slightly dizzy from the bright lights surrounding me, and chills shot up my back.

I turned to my right, and Voldemort was flying in the air about than twenty yards away from us. I could see the Burrow in the near distance. It was no more than a minute away.

I tried to keep my eyes off of Voldemort, but it was worse than the elephant in the room. I started racking through all the terrible things that could happen, when blond hair flew in my face.

"Shit," I cursed, and fired my gun at another appearing death eater. "Go faster!" I shouted at Moody as my voice rose to its normal pitch. He kicked up the speed, but it was right as a death eater shot a curse at us. I tried to dodge, but it hit the broom and knocked me to the side. I quickly caught on with my right arm, and my gun flew out of my hand.

So close to the Burrow.. We were so close..

"She's mine!" I heard Voldemort shout at his minions. I was going to die. That stupid Potter was the reason I was going to be dead, again.  I turned to look at Voldemort right as a green light shot out if his wand. I squeezed my eyes shut, but the pain never came.

Instead, the broom had dropped a few feet, and I looked up to see Mad-Eye Moody get hit square in the chest with the killing curse. The impact had snapped the broom in half, and I plummeted to my death not even ten feet away from the Weasley's house.

My eyes shot open. I let out a startled gasp as I remembered what happened. I felt the soft, plush couch cushion beneath me, and tilted my head up to look straight in the eyes of Hermione Granger.

"Oh my God." I whispered. I brought my hand up to my head, making sure I was actually alive. I took a sharp breath in, and nearly bursted into tears.

"M-Mad-Eye.." Hermione felt my forehead, and pushes my hair out of my face a she handed me a glass.

"Fever reducer. Just drink it, you'll be fine," she explained as she put the glass into my shaking hands. I gingerly raised it to my lips, and gulped down the foul smelling liquid. It tasted like sweet syrup as it spread throughout my mouth. 

Why did he take the curse for me? Why wasn't I dead from the fall? Didn't she know that Mad-Eye was dead? Why didn't she say anything?

"It's kind of a funny story, really.." Hermione started. Her expression was somber. "You fell off of the broom, and nearly died. We all thought the impact would have broken your neck, or your skull.. It didn't though, and I'm glad." She wrapped her arms around me, and I let out a sharp cry of pain. "Oh! I'm sorry! I really am!" She retreated, and sat back on the ground. I realized that almost a dozen people were watching me. Lupin, Tonks, Kingsley, Ron, Harry, Ginny, Fred, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Fleur Delacour, and Bill Weasley. I searched for George, and gasped as I saw him lying on the couch with a pool of blood on his ear.

"What.." I mumbled, unable to finish as my shock was present.

"His ear was cursed off by Snape." Snape? I thought Snape was the good guy?! Dumbledore had told me that Snape was on the good side, with the Order. That didn't make any sense. "Are you hungry?" she asked, obviously trying to change the subject.

"No," I simply answered. I knew that any food I ate would come back up. "I'm tired. Do you have a sleeping potion or something?" Hermione nodded, and poured some liquid from a flask into  the same cup. "Thanks," I told her, and gulped it down. I gave the cup to her, and my heavy lids closed.

If only she had a potion to make me forget what had happened.