Omen of the Future Ch.8

After Jack's meeting with Nixon, Jack went to find Jackie.

Jackie was sprawled on the bed, reading a book. She looked tired. She was teaching John how to read. John understood, only his poor tongue couldn't spell the words out.

"C-cat." Jackie told John who tried to mimick her but couldn't. John grew frustrated and his tiny hand slammed the book's cover.

"I can't!" John sobbed. "Me never l-learn h-how to r-read!"

Jackie closed the book. She had a headache. She looked relived when she saw Jack. His face was pale. "Jack?" She asked.

"I'll take it from here." Jack said sitting down. His face was pale. "You can go do your thing."

Jackie stood up and left the room. Jack closed the book making John mad.

"I thought we read?" John stammered the words out.

"No. Forget that. We need to talk."

"Tawk about what?" John struggled with his tongue looking annoyed.

"About the time travelers."

John looked at him, clearly not intereasted.

Jack ignored that. "It's only a matter of time before..."

"Before you go to Dallas?" John asked. "Don't go there." He managed to stutter the whole thing out without making any mistakes.

"I have to." Jack said stiffly. "I'll lose the election if I don't face my fears."

Anger flashed on John Jr's face. "So...you'll just let us die? History will go down the wrong path if we allow it to continue!"

Jack bit his lip. "I don't want to die."

"Then don't go," John was stammering.

Jack's face contorted in pain. He glanced at John. "I can't decide. Anyway, I guess we have enough time before Ted becomes a time traveler."

"How you say that?" John raised an eyebrow.

Jack smiled softly. "Because he's acting like it...he's getting headaches...anyway John...I need to ask you something."

John shook his head. "What is it?"

"Tell me what happened...when you died..."

John paused. "Well let's see...I drove my plane into the sea...killed my wife who might also be a time traveler and killed her unborn child..."

Jack stood up. "She was pregnant?!"

John blushed sheepishly. "Yeah...oops..."

Jack sighed. "I can't believe you..."

John laid out on the bed, using his chubby legs. "What'd you feel?"

"Pain." Jack replied frowning. "That's about it."

Kenny knocked on the door, making John go quiet. "Jack!"

Jack motioned for John to be quiet. "Yes?"

"Mr. President...your brother...he's in the hospital."