Swimming Pools

CW: Graphic description of blood and bodily harm.

July 3rd, 1996 2:49 p.m.

Sal wasn't sure what he had expected. When you hear about church activities you think about a camp, cabins, and weird awkward team bonding exercises to get to know each other even though you'll probably never speak to any one of them ever again after all is said and done. Instead they pulled up to the large church building.

"You can leave your bags in the car for now son, you'll be staying with another program member for the summer. Had it all arranged and settled. It's best to get you out of a familiar environment and place you somewhere with the least amount of influences. After today you'll be sent home with him and you'll get settled in from there." The pastor spoke to him as they got out of the car and made their way into the building. The air inside fell still and a blanket of warmth engulfed Sal as he walked further in. At the front, the first row of pews were filled with people ranging from teens to young adults. All eyes turned to look at Sal and the pastor and it felt like they were stabbing into him. He felt nervous and his tension rose. He wasn't used to this kind of environment or this group of people. He's directed to take a seat and he does so, sitting next to a kid with short wavy brown hair. They awkwardly smile at each other as they direct their attention to the podium at the front where the pastor stood.

"Welcome everyone to the summer program. We have a new member joining us and we'll be going around and introducing ourselves. I would also request that you say 'hello, my name is' fill in the blank there, share your age, and share with us what you're here for and what you expect out of our summer program. We all have something we're here for and it's nothing to be ashamed of. We all should strive to be open and transparent individuals. Vance, let's start at your end and we'll snake our way around." Around they went to each kid. Sal listened in horror because each one of them had a twinge of pain in their voice that anyone who's felt low would recognize. He could see into their eyes the weight they held as they were shamed for the sins they committed. Masturbation, homosexuality, lying, disobedience to their parents. Those were just a few of the things listed, but to Sal seemed considerably harmless. Sure, some of these things shouldn't be done excessively or with the intent to harm people, but other than that, a little self pleasure here and a white lie there never hurt. If you had to bow to your parents every need and whim without a second thought, how would you build your own character or sense of self? He was left puzzled and speechless through the introductions and he could feel the thoughts racing like vapor from a pot of boiling water. It fogged his head and made it impossible to concentrate on anything that the pastor was saying.

Once introductions were over, they went into explanation about what the summer program would entail and what everyone would hope to get out of it. It was short, thankfully and not too long. Sal wasn't sure exactly how much of this he would be able to endure. He wondered if he'd even last the whole summer and beyond. The session came to a close and stood before him was the picture of innocence to Sal. A boy with a sweet smirk on his face, short curly brown hair. This kid seemed to have an angelic aura to him. He wore a plain white t-shirt and a denim jacket over his small frame and a pair of black jeans. His arm was outstretched as a means of greeting Sal.

"It's okay if you don't quite remember my name yet. I'm Liam, you'll be staying with me for now." Sal lightly shook his hand and stood at his feet as they both made their way out into the blistering summer sun. He grabbed his bag out of the trunk of the pastor's car.

"Now, Sal. Liam is one of our most respectable children of the church. Raised in these walls practically and truly strives to be a child of God. I trust you two will get along well."

"Of course pastor! I feel a fruitful friendship with Sal forming already." Liam rocked back and forth from the heel of his foot to the tips of his toes with his hands in his pockets and a very toothy grin on display. This clearly warmed the heart of the pastor as he smiled in return and gave Liam a few pats on his shoulder.