Chapter 8

|Thursday, August 22, 2013|
|Sam Wilson's home|

"I've narrowed it down to three places," Sam said as he, Steve and Adeline sat around his kitchen table.

"Okay, perfect," Adeline said. "Where are they?"

"Paris, France. Moscow, Russia. And Algiers, Algeria," Sam said.

"Why those places?" Steve asked. "Those are all huge cities."

"Exactly. The perfect place to hide is among others," he said. "That's why they're all large cities. He can blend in much better than if he were to pick a countryside village."

"How did you narrow it down to those three?" Adeline asked.

"There are other possibilities, but these three cities are where the most significant of the Winter Soldier's crimes took place. I looked at all of his committed crimes from the S.H.I.E.L.D. leak and these three cities are where he spent quite a bit of time in. If he's trying to retrace his memories, I would start in a place I remember the most," Sam said. Adeline nodded, thinking it over.

"Could I see the list?" Adeline asked and Sam nodded, handing her the paper. Adeline looked over the three cities and their events.

"We should start in Paris," Adeline said. "It looks like that was where most of his crimes were. I'm guessing he was outside more giving him more opportunity to see signs and landmarks." Sam nodded in agreement.

"I'll get the tickets booked," he said.

"Remember, you have to be discreet about it," Steve said. "We don't want him to know we are trying to find him. It might make him run."

"Yeah, we can't go around asking people if they've seen him," Adeline said. "That makes this a lot harder."

"No kidding," Sam mumbled. "Besides, we're going on theories here. He might not even be in any of these cities. Then there's the matter of if we find him, we can't let anyone know. The government will most likely want him to answer for his crimes."

"He was a prisoner of war!" Adeline retorted.

"But he still murdered hundreds of people," Steve reasoned. "People are going to want something in return. We just have to keep this quiet, okay?" Adeline sighed and nodded.

~*~

Adeline began packing her things for the trip. She folded her dresses neatly into the large suitcase. Under the dresses, she placed a few handguns and ammunition to last her maybe a few months. The elevator to their suite opened and Steve looked up as Adeline quickly closed the top of her suitcases. Two official looking government agents walked in. They looked past Steve seeing the half packed suitcase before turning back to him.

"Going somewhere?" The first one asked.

"No," Adeline said quickly before amending her answer. "I'm taking a trip."

"Where to?" The second man asked, his hand cautiously on his gun.

"Why would it concern you?" Adeline asked. "I'm not under investigation."

"No, but you're still under supervision," he said. Adeline sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Paris," she said. "Steve thought it would be best if I take a little break. He didn't want me here while he was under investigation. I've always wanted to see Paris when it's not occupied by the Nazis."

"You going with anyone?"

"Yes, a friend of Steve's," Adeline said. "Sam Wilson and I know for a fact you're not investigating him either." One of the men scribbled this information down on his notebook as Steve walked in with a few of Adeline's toiletries, looking between the men and Adeline.