The Epitome Of Shock

Start from the beginning

Monica was not used to seeing her once incredibly motherly and charming friend looking like she was... well, popular.

"This is Monica, everyone." Mister Edgecombe introduced her to the class.

"You can sit... er..."

Holly stood up. The hardly noticeable curves she once had disappeared, as she now had very noticeable ones.

"She can sit here, Sir."

"And, where will you sit, Holly?"

"On Silver." she grinned cheekily before sitting on Silver Perry's lap. He grinned his heart-melting grin and wrapped his arms around her waist.

This made me jealous. Even after all of the boys I had falling at my feet in England, I still wanted Silver.

"That's not very safe, in a kitchen." Mister Edgecombe's brow furrowed disapprovingly.

I liked this teacher.

"We aren't cooking, yet, are we? You haven't even told us what we're cooking yet. What damage is half an hour on my boyfriend's lap going to do?"

Boyfriend?

"As long as you don't get her pregnant..."

"No promises!" Silver laughed. Holly laughed with him, as did most of the class.

As instructed, I went and sat in Holly's old seat. I felt numb...

Silver Perry, the Silver Perry I really believed was "The One" was with my ex-best friend?

I fumed as I watched her lean into his chest, and him whisper sweet things that made her blush into her ear.

That was meant to be me on his lap!

...

Lily Henderson sat in Science, eagerly listening to her teacher, Mister Williams, who had sandy blonde hair and sea green eyes.

"Lily?"

"Yes, Sir?" She replied, eagerly.

"Could you please bring me your homework?"

"Yes, Sir." Picking up her red Science work book, Lily got up and handed it over.

"I did the extra credit, work, Mister Williams."

"Wonderful, Lily."

"And I got excited and read ahead, so I did those questions, and-"

"We get it!" Usually mellow Nicole Holt said, agitated. "You like trying to impress teachers with your goody-two-shoes stamina and teacher's pet persona."

Lily flinched. Once upon a time, Nicole would be defending Lily from those comments, not dishing them out at her.

"Just because you're failing, Nicole... I could tutor you, if you'd like..."

Nicole's glare tightened. "I don't need tutoring, thanks, Henderson. As for my passing - or failing - current grade, I don't see how it's your business."

Lily was about to retort when Mister Williams stepped in.

"Ladies! Please! No fighting in my Science lab."

"Yes, Sir. I'm sorry, Mister Williams..."

"Alright, sorry, Sir."

Receiving my book from Mister Williams, I sat down once more, and continued to copy questions down, and answer them.

...

Nicole hated how Lily Henderson showed off how academically perfect she was.

Did she ever not work?

Pushing a lock of black hair behind her ear, Nicole frowned.

What the hell does "atomos" mean?

Not wanting to look like an idiot, Nicole skipped it and went on to the next question.

...

After class, Nicole went straight to her locker, throwing her Science books in, a little too happily.

"You alright, Nicole?"

Turning, she saw her friend, Katerina Vladim.

Katerina was small, and had darkish skin. She was a little on the chubby side, yet had curves. Katerina's long black hair was curled and reached her lower chest.

Yet the most catching thing about Katerina Vladim was here dark, mysterious brown eyes.

"Oh, yeah, fine. I just had Science."

"Oh, fun!"

"Not really."

Katerina grinned. "I know, we all hate it."

Nicole laughed. "Lily Henderson loves our Science class."

"More like your Science teacher!"

The pair laughed, linking arms.

"I wonder what this Year Ten Meeting is about."

Nicole nodded in agreement.

Heading towards the Gym, Nicole and Katerina saw some familiar faces.

Holly Morrison and Silver Perry, Lily Henderson, Lyra Mitchell, two boys in her Math class - Ryan Walker and Hayden Crawford, and someone Nicole thought she'd never see again.

Monica Endervitz.

"What's up?" Katerina asked, realising I'd been staring in one direction for a while.

"I... nothing."

Nicole wasn't sure why she didn't tell Katerina that she'd seen Monica, unless Katerina brought it up.

As everyone filed into the bleachers, Miss Lazona - a woman built for netball, with long dark red hair - smiled up.

"So... who wants to go to Coral Cove, for school camp?"

Students cheered, Nicole could see them, but she couldn't hear them, as if she'd gone momentarily deaf. She felt her heart beat incredibly fast.

She looked to Holly, who was four seats to her left. She'd frozen, a pure look of terror in her eyes.

Nicole looked at Lily, who was several seats right and a row up. Her jaw had dropped, and she looked the epitome of shock.

Nicole finally turned to Monica, who was sitting directly in front of her, and she looked back at her.

Nicole and Monica hadn't seen each other in four years, they knew that they could share a confused, shocked and terrified stare.

Coral Cove was where Rochelle went missing.

...

How was it? Good? Bad? Comment!