Chapter Twelve

As the sun rose the following morning, an intuitive feeling that the world had experienced a great change settled into your bones, and you knew that your world was about to change as well. Today was the day that the Northern Water Tribe would leave the South – and you as well, if that was still Desna's wish.

You lamented upon all of this before you even opened your eyes. After determining that it was time to face the day and all its uncertainties, you stretched and sleepily cracked open one eye, to allow yourself to slowly adjust to the sunlight – and only then remembered that you had not fallen asleep in your own room last night. You reached out to find Desna and snuggle up to him again, but he was nowhere to be found. After sitting up and looking around the room, you realized that you were completely alone. With a frown, you stood and smoothed out your clothes, having fallen asleep in your daytime attire, then touched up your hair and made your way out of his bed chambers and to the throne room, where you found Desna and Korra talking quietly. Korra was the first to see you, sending you a smile and a wave from over Desna's shoulder. Desna turned slightly to see who she was greeting, and his signature, small smile formed on his lips when he saw it was you.

"Good morning," you greeted them, placing your hand in the crook of Desna's arm. You pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, and briefly relished in the faint blush that bloomed across his cheeks and nose, then turned your attention to Korra. "So, what's on the agenda for today?"

"Cousin Korra, Eska, and I have been working on organizing a gathering, which will be held in a few hours' time, for citizens of both the Northern and Southern tribes. It will serve as an announcement of the South's independence, then the Northern Water Tribe will return home."

"Yeah, the Southern Council of Elders is meeting right now to determine the South's new chief. I'll admit, I'm hoping that my dad will get to be the chief again, but at this point, I'm just glad the South is going to be independent again," Korra elaborated, and despite her smile, you could hear the exhaustion in her voice.

"Well, promise me that after today, you'll take some time to relax, okay?" you urged your friend, and she smiled warmly at you.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Korra said. "Anyways, I should get going. I'll see you guys later!"

As Korra walked out with a wave, Desna turned to you, and spared a moment to gaze at you in adoration, before stating, "Let's return to my chambers. There is a gift awaiting you there."

Sure enough, when you got back to Desna's room, there was a large, flat, rectangular box laying on his bed, with a large bow on top. You shot him an inquisitive look, but he merely nodded in the direction of the box, encouraging you to investigate it yourself. After unwrapping the bow and opening the lid, you discovered a gorgeous blue gown inside, made of the softest material you had ever touched and lined with lush white fur. The neckline was a wide V, and there was a small rendition of the emblem of the Water Tribe embroidered on the center of the chest in golden thread.

"Des, this is beautiful," you whispered breathlessly, wasting no time in pulling it out of the box and to admire it further. You walked over to stand in front of the floor-length mirror in the corner of his room, and held it against your body to imagine yourself in it. He came to stand behind you, one hand resting on the small of your back, smiling warmly as he watched you.

"Are you certain you like it? I can have it sent back," he said, and you couldn't help but grin at his ever-present hyper-criticism of anything to do with tailoring. His slender finger grazed over the embroidery, and he let out a huff. "Pitiful. I could do a better job in my sleep."

"No, it's beyond perfect," you assured him. You met his gaze in the mirror for just a moment, and added, "Just like you," before returning your attention to your reflection in the mirror, still running your hands over the luxurious fabric. He placed a chaste kiss on your temple in response, then went back to eyeing you in the mirror.