A short while later, we were all seated around a fire in a cave, sipping on warmed up soup, with the arctic camels and Naga resting just outside. As Korra asked Unalaq about the dark spirits, a frightened Bolin asked, "Can we not talk about dark spirits, please?"

"My brother doesn't like ghost stories," Mako explained.

"Don't worry, I will protect you, my feeble turtle duck," Eska stated, as Bolin hugged her arm.

"Thank you."

You unsuccessfully suppressed a snicker at Bolin's fright, before looking to Desna. "And will you protect me?"

"Of course," Desna answered simply. "I will always protect you."

You smiled warmly, before wrapping both your arms around one of his. He placed a kiss on the top of your head, quick enough that none of the others would notice the PDA, then returning his attention to his father.

"Sadly, this isn't a ghost story. This is real. The spirits are angry because he's here," Unalaq said, looking pointedly to Tonraq. "Haven't you ever wondered how your father ended up in the South Pole? Why he's never taken you to visit his homeland in the North?"

All of you listened intently as Tonraq told the tale of his banishment. Korra, understandably, expressed her distaste for her father concealing the truth from her, before storming off. Mako went to check on her as the rest of you set up camp for the night. Eska commanded Bolin to prepare her sleeping bag, which he did, before catching an icy glare from Desna when he attempted to lay his own sleeping bag down where Desna had been about to put his – which was, coincidentally, right beside yours. Bolin mouthed an "oh" when it clicked as to why he was receiving such a warning look from Desna, before moving his further away, to allow Desna to set up his place next to you.

You sat on top of your sleeping bag for a little while, discussing spirits with Unalaq. He certainly butted heads with Tonraq, but he was interesting to listen to, especially considering the fact that you knew nothing of spirits. After he turned to exchange a few, curt words with Tonraq about the plan for tomorrow, Desna noticed you shiver from the cold. Without the slightest hesitation, he removed the fur-lined overcoat from his shoulders, and wrapped it around you.

"I can't take this, you'll be cold," you argued, but he merely shook his head.

"I will be fine, do not worry," Desna responded. When you opened your mouth to protest again, he added, "My lady is cold. It would be heinously impolite of me to take the coat back. Keep it for the night, at the least."

You could tell he was determined to make you keep it, so you murmured a thank you, before smiling and wrapping it more tightly around your shoulders. Although you were worried about him being cold, you were secretly ecstatic that he insisted on you keeping it for the night, because it smelled like him. If you didn't think it'd be kind of weird, you'd have informed Korra that he definitely isn't the twin who smells like a grandma's attic. He smelled like warm, inviting mahogany, and it felt downright intoxicating to you.

Mako and Korra returned as everyone climbed into their sleeping bags, and they both silently made their beds, as Korra refused to so much as glance at her father. There wasn't much conversation for the rest of the night, and after everyone fell asleep, you scooted your sleeping bag closer to Desna, as quietly as you could. He smiled softly, before lacing his fingers with yours, and the pair of you fell fast asleep.

The next morning, you and Desna were apparently the last to join the realm of consciousness, because you were awoken by Mako loudly stating, "Aw, how sweet. They fell asleep holding hands," followed by a bit of laughter from the others. You really wished you had bending at that particular moment. You improvised by picking up a small rock that was beside your sleeping bag, and throwing it in his direction, deriving your satisfaction from the loud whack it made as it connected with the back of his thick skull, which earned even more laughter – even from Desna.