The air around you recollected it's musty scent mere moments after the trapdoor closed, leaving you to your thoughts yet again. Your eyes had just barley risen to look at just what had been given to you.

Your stomach flew to your throat when you saw the small dial tick with each passing second, a clock that showed just how much time would be left until you were supposedly being sold off once again- your last stop. Deep in your mind you had wished for this all to be some sick joke, and you would wake up in some empty field with nothing more than the light of the sun to accompany you. But this was no dream, rather it was a living nightmare that would never end.

Slamming your fists on the ground, the chains around your wrists jingled, reminding you the position you were in. There was no freedom to those who had nowhere to go, with no purpose in life other than to harm- but that wasn't you, the Holy Lands was where you needed to be, to finally experience what was taken from you months ago.

The call of seabirds echoed in your ears, your breath heavy while trying to calm yourself. Perhaps you should just take Malek's offer and become another one of the crew members that would eventually die durning a raid. Perhaps lose an eye or ear while fighting for your life, or even dying by the blade of your own crew for trying to escape once more.

You remembered the first few days you had found yourself on the ship- hands bloodied and calloused with work that never ended. Those around you had worked with the loss determination, completing each task accompanied by slashes across their backs if hesitance showed for even a second. Your own skin wasn't spared from such punishment, whether it was a slip of a bucket, a fumble with a rope, the thin leather made new groves into your back that would never leave.

It was during a storm did you finally break. You watched as the ship tossed in the waves and rain poured harshly on your back, freezing your fingers numb around a rope you desperately held onto. The Capitan had stalked along the ship with hungry eyes and a thirst of entertainment, one that hadn't escaped your fleeting gaze.

You remember how his hand gripped your shoulder, turning you around to meet his drunken stare, the scent of alcohol present even in the salty air of the storm.

You had pushed him away into the direct hit of one of his own men's whip, leather slashing across his hand as he tumbled back in hopes to keep his balance. Perhaps you should have jumped off the ship when you had the chance; to take a chance with the raging waves, however the satisfaction you felt when Malek's face twisted into a pained scowl, the salt of the sea sinking into his flesh, sent pride through you.

That was the last day you had ever been forced to work under his finger.

Now, sitting below the barracks, rats the only company in the darkness, there had still been no regret. They knew they could no longer control you, hence why they had tried to trade you off for some scraps of gold. Futile attempts of bargaining had gotten them nowhere, leaving you to travel across the seas bound to the floorboards of the ship.

Closing your eyes, you allowed your boredom to sink in and drag you into another patchy sleep.

»»——⍟——««

As expected, you had been awoken by the loud squeal from the trapdoors rusty hinges forcibly opening. Your fingers quickly rubbed away the sleep from under your lids, peering up to see just who decided to give you a visit so soon.

Ranboo slowly made his way down the stairs with a bag around his shoulder, his red and green eyes locking into yours. You noticed he no longer wore the stained dress shirt you met him in, trading the torn and ragged fabric for a newly made blouse that hung off his thin figure. The bronze caps that had been moulded along his horns still remained, protecting anyone from what you assumed could be sharp tips.

You watched as the hybrid ducked his head down, walking towards you with a hesitant smile.

"Ranboo." You greeted with a calm smile, giving the best wave you could. Ranboo was fast to recuperate the gesture, kneeling down in front of you while his tail swished behind him. "It's good to see you're still alive."

"I've been close to being thrown off-" he laughed, hand meeting the back of his neck. "But I brought you something- thought that it would be better than what you normally receive."

His hand dug into the bag he brought with him, pulling out one of the largest apples you had ever seen. It's flesh remained shiny and untouched from the bruises you had normally got, the fruit practically as fresh as the day it was picked. Ranboo pressed the apple into your hands, pulling out a few more and placing them by your side- leaving one for himself to eat.

"Thank you- this is so much, aren't you going to get in trouble?" You asked, hesitating before you dared bite into the apple. Ranboo chuckled at your worry, raising the apple to his mouth and taking a bite.

"It's part of my daily rations, and it's not like I'm going to eat them all the time." His words help settled the uneasiness in your stomach somewhat, lifting the apple to your lips and taking a bite. Unlike what you had been previously given, the taste had been so much more eccentric and sweet, the flavour across your tongue, savouring the taste.

You stayed silent as you ate, Ranboo slowly moving himself as to sit beside you, leaning against the wall to stare at the ceiling. The sound of your stomach growling in satisfaction ruined the sound of sloshing of waves around you, causing Ranboo to chuckle while a flush ran through your face.

"How is it like up there? Getting along with everyone?" You pursed your lips while throwing the core across the room, watching as the rats made quick work of the remains.

Ranboo huffed, letting his shoulders slump as if this was the first time he had a chance to relax. "It's tiring really, and I can't help but be nervous around the leather whips."

He shivered, as if he could feel the tingle of the leather making home into his flesh. You let your breath hitch when you saw a few particles fly off his form, his lips twitching into a frown as if his mind was diving into his thoughts. The creaky boards from above would sometimes make Ranboo's ears twitch unbeknownst to him, and the small quirk made you smile.

The ticking of the watch brought you back to reality, six more days until the ship would port, and you would finally be traded off to another. The gold of the watch glimmered in the little light that trickled down, mocking you just as Capitan Malek had done. Ranboo followed your gaze to the watch, narrowing his gaze along the item.

"I want to get you out of here." He broke the silence, turning his head to look over to you.

"What?"

"I- I mean." His hands covered his face, letting a rather large sigh escape his lips. "I don't want to be stuck here any longer than I have to, and taking you with me only seems logical. I'd be able to return to searching, and you'll finally be free again."

His offer sent a pleasant buzz in your stomach, your breath leaving your lungs as the thought of finally leaving this forsaken ship and returning to your own search brought a smile to your lips, you finally had a chance.

"You would really do that?"

"Of course, anything for a friend."

Your lifted your hand, curling each of your fingers to your palm, except your pinky. "Pinky promise that we'll get out together." You whispered. It maybe seemed childish, to leave your trust in the form of a pinky promise, but there was not much else you could offer to the hybrid.

Ranboo's head perked up, shifting his body to face your own as he lifted his own pinky, grasping your finger and sealing your promise. "I promise."

Even after Ranboo left you to return to his duties, the giddiness buzzing through you never left, letting the rock of the ship bring you back into a peaceful place.

»»——⍟——««