011 ( retail therapy )

CHAPTER 11
RETAIL THERAPY

Through her honest confession, Nanami had moved to sit in front of her, gingerly offering a tissue to which she had accepted gratefully

When she had finished he gripped the tissue box tightly.

Nanami understood. He had been to that funeral, he had met her mother back when he was in high school.

But he kept his mouth shut.

"Y/N...is there anything I can do for you? I don't want to intrude, but I want to help in any way I can"

"Nanami, it's all in the past. I'm just afraid, I should have never made friends, or gotten attached, I always end up moving"

She was suffering, that much was clear. Always moving, never growing roots or anywhere to call home or anybody depend on.

It only made it complicated that she had never known what the in the world was going on around her

Y/N  leaned forward, letting her forehead fall on his shoulder as she sniffled.

"Nanami, I'm tired of it all, I am"

She whispered. This brief moment of vulnerability made his heart tug. Gently he reached up placing a hand on her lower back.

When they finally parted he awkwardly stood up. His legs had fallen asleep.

"Thank you for trusting me enough to share this with me Y/N"

Disheartened she locked her fingers with his, running a thumb over the tops of his knuckles with a shuddering breath.

"Promise me something, Nanami"

"I'm listening"

She looked up, hesitant before finally continuing.

"Promise that you won't get too attached"

Silence, how was he going to respond to that? Furthermore, why did it make him nervous? All he had to do was nod, and they could go about their day. But something was holding him back.

"You're that confident?"

He offered a smile but she was dead serious.

"Nanami, I don't want you to hate me, when I finish the collaboration with your company for this year, I might have to move again"

"I could never hate you, besides there's always a way to talk, it'll be worth the effort"

Y/N ran a hand over her head letting out a shaky exhale.

"You'll change your mind soon enough"

"Don't say that"

She burst out laughing.

"What?"

"You amaze me"

He sat down on the coffee table so they were at eye level again. Y/N was still holding tightly to his hand, Nanami's face hovering a couple of inches away from her own.

"You're so sarcastic and quiet on the outside, yet you're just another foodie who likes to drink, you're so..."

She waved her free hand trying to get her words out

"Average?"

"Smart, reasonable, kind, Ito is so jealous of you, my girlfriends think you're hot"

He felt his face warm up at that.

"I don't take flattery very well L/N"

"Well then that's gotta change, so does your style"

Nanami scoffed

"What's wrong with it?"

She ran a hand down the side of his arm, pinching the fabric of his dress shirt.

"How do you feel about a walk"

____

When Y/N had mentioned a walk he had expected a pleasant stroll in the park.

Not an early evening rendezvous of the small shopping center a couple of blocks from her apartment.

She had changed out of her clothes, Nanami had seen how excited she was. He didn't want to dampen her spirit noticing how the cursed spirit still was hanging over her.

"Well you already do look good in those stuffy expensive clothes of yours"

They spent over an hour walking around mostly Y/N chattering as Nanami followed. Even if they didn't buy anything the near silence of the center was comforting, stores getting ready to close up for the day.

"Nanami"

They were in one of the more upper-class elegant stores.

She held up a yellow leopard print tie with a hopeful grin, Nanami stared at it.

"Yes I agree, I think bright colors suit you Y/N"

"It's for you, silly"

He had to suppress a snort. Nanami could only imagine walking into work wearing that.

However, Y/N didn't give him a chance to argue since she was already looping it around his neck. All he could do was hold still. This close he could smell her fresh lemony scent, her eyes focused on the task.

When she finally raised them they made eye contact, and a smile spread across her face.

"What?"

He didn't respond, only taking her hands and correcting a loop.

"You're very good at this"

"I'd make my fathers tie when my mom was away"

She smoothed down the front of his shirt awkwardly about to step back before he slipped his hand around her waist. He pulled her back in before she could tread right into the path of a passing shopper.

The close contact made them both stiffen, it had been purely instinctive and he quickly let her go. But Y/N didn't give him a chance to apologize since she was laughing, making him face the mirror.

"See, it looks great"

She popped her head around him.

"Y/N, for someone who's determined about not creating attachments, you've been making some questionable choices"

He sighed already taking off the tie. 43,569 yen 400 USD was a ridiculous price for something as garish and loud as this.

She pouted as he put it away, but what he didn't see was her picking it up again as he was making his way to the exit.

"We should probably head home, the cashiers giving us dirty looks"

She nodded absentmindedly,

"Yeah, yeah, I'll catch up in a bit, wait for me outside?"