"He won't die, okay?" he brought her back into his arms, "I promise."

***

Ignoring their significant lack of sleep, James still was up and ready for quidditch practice long before the rest of the castle even began to stir. El took the opportunity of having a few hours to spare, and made the decision that she needed to speak with Regulus before reporting anything to Dumbledore.

After borrowing the Marauders Map, El could see that Regulus was in the Slytherin common room with several other house mates (how many of them were death eaters was something Eleanor tried to shake from her head).

"Regulus?" El called upon entering. "Come 'ere." She gestured her head to the entrance she'd just climbed through.

The younger Black brother furrowed his brows in confusion, but excused himself from his conversation without any questions. The few Slytherins that were present mirrored Regulus' expression in curiosity.

El didn't give any form of greeting, only marched back out into the corridor and along until she found a quiet spot, simply expecting Regulus to follow her.

"Sit." El nodded to the seat in front of her, shoving him into it when he did not oblige straight away.

"Good morning to you too."

The warning glare that was sent his way caused him to drop his sarcastic tone. "Give me your arm." El demanded, not waiting for him to follow the order before grabbing his arm and pulling his sleeve up to his elbow.

The black ink on Regulus' forearm was not a shock. She knew it was there but still the sight of it sent a shiver to her core. It seemed to stare right back at her, the infamous snake and skull imprinted into his pale skin.

"You're a death eater." she said. It wasn't a question, or an accusation— more just a statement.

Regulus pulled his arm out of her grip and held it against his chest protectively. "You don't sound shocked."

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've helped," El questioned, ignoring his previous sentence.

"If i wanted help then i would have asked for it," Regulus snapped. He stood up to leave but El pulled her wand out from under her jacket and held it under his jaw.

"You sit back down and answer my fucking questions," she growled, backing him onto the bench. "When?"

Regulus mumbled something too quiet for El to hear. "When?" she repeated sternly.

"Christmas."

"Christmas?! Why didn't you tell me?! I could've done something— i could've helped," El began to pace, rubbing her forehead as if to massage her brain.

"Because there's nothing you can do. It's too late now. I belong to him," Regulus sighed, his shoulders sagging in defeat.

"No. I will help. I'll get you out of it, i promise."

"Please don't make promises that you can't keep, El." he looked at her sadly, his expression making him look even more like a child.

He was sixteen. He's not even of age yet.

Without another word, Regulus got up and walked back towards the Slytherin common room. El took out the map and scanned over it, not looking for any name in particular until one appeared fairly close to hers.

She followed the map along a few corridors. "Evans," El called out, trying to get the girls attention. "Can you get me into Gryffindor tower?"

"Good morning!" Lily grinned, clearly not sensing the tone of El's voice.