Chapter 17: Normality

Rae knew friends could become strangers as quickly as strangers could become friends, and she didn't want that to happen with her and Draco. They didn't always agree on things, and they had their fair share of disagreements, but they had never gone things long without at least checking in on the other.

The black nail polish had been chipped long ago because of the walk she had decided to take before going to Draco's house. Rae kept nervously picking or biting at it while her mind was racing, what was she even supposed to say to him?

Saying sorry in person would probably not make much of a difference to him, but what else did he want her to do?

With a shaking head Rae opened the garden gate, he had cleaned it since she was last here. It was felt before seen because of the faint streetlight. The pathway was nicely kept as well, the stones clean and no grass in between them, had he actually done some gardening?

A slight smile crossed her face before the graveness took over again, and Rae banged her fist against the door. It wasn't silenced as she could hear some shuffling from inside before the familiar blond man opened the door.

"Oh, Rae... come on in," Draco spoke while fully opening the door and leading her back into the living room, he had been busy reading another book.

The book was laying open on the table, and as always a glass of whatever substance he had decided on tonight was sitting next to it.

"I'm sorry, Draco, I know what I said was out of line," Rae said as she sat down on the sofa on the opposite side of him.

"Why did you attack me to defend him?" Draco gaze was wary but intense as he watched her every move.

That was definitely not the question she had expected, why had she even done that? It was such a weird thing to do, and she wasn't usually like that, but it hadn't felt like he was simply attacking Fred, that had to be why.

"I think I thought you were hacking on me as if I didn't know what Fred has done," she sighed after musing for longer than he liked.

"You're still seeing him, aren't you?" He groaned while pressing his finger to the bridge of his nose, acting more like a disappointed brother than anything else.

"He really is different, Draco... and so similar in the best way." She couldn't stop the smile from gliding over her face, and he rolled his eyes because of it.

"I can't convince you to leave him alone can I?"

"I doubt it. I really enjoy being around him," Rae smiled, and he threw one of the pillows from his side at her.

"I bet you do, you siren!" He grinned at her, and the weight seemed to instantly ease from her shoulders.

A bright smile now on both of their faces as they decided to both get a drink, a refill for him, and play a little game of chess.

"Do you know a guy named Min Khaled?" Draco asked with furrowed eyebrows, once again watching her every move as he manually moved his Rook.

"Yes? Are you spying on me?... I met him today," Rae answered with a grin as she moved her Bishop to a more defensive position, now also watching the man in front of her curiously.

"He's a ministry worker, unspeakable, father introduced me, and after lunch, he was speaking of a girl that sounded like you," Draco said, a knowing look floating into his expression, and she cleared her throat as he moved his pawn.