C h a p t e r E l e v e n

Börja om från början

“I know that but—“

“No ‘buts’ Rae. She needs to have some damn sense knocked into her and if you keep letting her do this shit then so do you!”

“Is there a problem?”

Both Jace and Rae turn at the sound of the curt voice. Rae’s wolf howls in her head as she takes in Colton standing outside the kitchen. He’s still shirtless with his arms crossed over his bare chest as he glares at her younger brother. His eyes aren’t blue right now though, they’re the yellow of his wolf telling Rae he’s not happy about Jace’s tone.

“This really isn’t any of your business.” Jace tells him flatly.

Rae winces at his choice of words before shifting her gaze to Colton again. Colton runs his tongue over his teeth before a cold smirk comes across his face. Dropping his crossed arms to his side she sees them still locked into fists as he approaches the two of them. Her body reacts immediately to his proximity but she tries to keep herself from focusing on the incoming disaster and not on her hormones.

“It becomes my business when you start threatening my mate.”

Jace frowns, “Threatening?”

“Uh, Jace, why don’t you go check on the girls in the kitchen.” Rae suggests putting her hands on Colton’s chest when he takes a step forward. When Jace hesitates she adds a quick, “Now.”

Jace narrows his eyes at Colton before moving past them to enter the kitchen. Once the door swings closed behind him Rae drops her hands off his chest to smush her face with the palm of her hand with a groan. She feels Shocks go up her arm when Colton grabs her wrist and lowers her hand so he can look at her. Scanning over her face he frowns at her.

“You’re upset.”

“Well you kind of did just have a stand off with my brother.” She tells him dryly.

Colton drops his head and sighs deeply, “I’m sorry. I don’t know why I acted that way. I forget how it can be between siblings sometimes.”

“Your wolf was just trying to protect me, I get that.”

“You’re very understanding.” He tells her with a small smile.

Rae scoffs, “I have to raise five siblings, I kind of have to be.”

Taking her hand in his he lifts her arm and uses his fingers to trace one of the flowers on her arm, “Nice artwork.”

“Poppy is the artistic one in the family.”

“I tried to get her to come down here with me but she promised she’d behave so I let her be.” Colton says as his fingers dance up her arm and making goosebumps rise on her skin, “She didn’t wake you did she?”

Rae shakes her head as her breathing speeds up, “No. I think I just noticed you were gone.”

“Miss me did you?” He smiles looking pleased.

Despite her red cheeks she sticks her tongue out at him before muttering, “Arrogant ass.”

His grin only widens, “I’m sorry what was that? I didn’t hear you.”

“You are an arrogant ass.” She says slowly.

Rae lets out a shriek that turns into laughter as he suddenly throws her over his shoulder. A smack on her butt has her shrieking again before she starts pounding her fists on his back. He doesn’t let her down though. Instead he just moves towards the kitchen with what she assumes to be a triumphant smile on his face.