"Yeah I know, it's just sad that Eren gets to be all cool in Captain Levi's squad and we're here, shooting green and red out of guns."

"Green and Red flares which benefit the expedition, Connie. Without us, a Titan could enter the center formation and casualties would occur. It's our job to be on the lookout."

Sasha jumped in. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure you're the same height as Captain Levi~"

Me and Connie laughed at the remark, the three of us in high spirits. Little did we know that wouldn't last long...

———————

I slowly tugged the calloused reins of my horse back, signifying for him to lower his speed but continue on. I was starting to get nervous.

Only the sound of whinnying horses and hooves galloping went to our ears. It had been some time since we broke out of the formation and anxiety was slowly seeping into my mind. Something wasn't right.

Everything is too quiet.

I felt my eyes go wider as I sat stiff on my moving saddle. Of course. That's what I'm feeling. Everything is too quiet. To be in Titan territory and for nothing to happen for some time is too suspicious. We haven't even spotted a Titan, much less seen a flare go off from the others. Something is up, maybe not from this side but definitely in the formation. Sasha must have felt the same thing, as well as Connie, because the brunette halted her reins and stopped to face us.

"Shouldn't we go back to the formation? This feeling is throwing me off." She asked us with wide eyes.

"Same here, but won't we get in trouble for going back?" The shaved headed cadet queried.

"That's what I'm thinking, maybe we can-"
Yelling from far behind us cuts me off. We turn around to see two horses and a silhouette rushing towards us. As it got closer, we make out the figure to be Officer Sommer approaching us with a spare horse beside his own.

We trot towards him, saluting the Officer before speaking as he catches his breath.

"Officer Sommer, did we stray to far from the formation? Is there something going on?"

Officer Sommer analyzes us before speaking, "You three are Cadets L/N, Springer, and Braus, Correct?" We nod as he continues, "Ok, good. No, you haven't strayed, an incident occurred between the right side and a strange Abnormal that caused damage to the frontal right flank of the formation-"

That's where Armin, Mikasa, and Jean were assigned.

"Are they alright, Officer Sommer?"

Officer Sommer frowned. "You will let me finish, Cadet L/N. I have no idea if all the comrades are safe. The ones who were able signal black flares were given orders that I'm about to you three from the Center formation: You all are to continue riding ahead. From then on, you should locate a big forest where a few of my fellow Officers should already be with further instructions."

We all took in the information quickly, racking our brains to figure out what happened with the Abnormal as Connie asked him one last question.

"Officer Sommer, should we be worried in any way?" Connie appeared serious, something I usually didn't see often. Officer Sommer passed me the reins of the spare horse, slightly smiling to us before he answered.

"Not if everything goes to plan."

——————

A mass of trees lied ahead of us, thick branches and lanky trunks stood patiently. As we got closer to the forest, the anxiousness brewed within me, butterflies forming in my stomach. I hated not knowing what was going on. Everything felt off.