"Presume?"

He stepped toward me as if he were stalking prey, and I took an involuntary step back. "Presume? Your princess," he said sarcastically, taking another step toward me, "—invited me here herself. Whispered it in my ear just before taking her leave earlier tonight. You don't believe me?" he asked and tilted his head toward Sophia's rooms. "Let's open the door and see if she's there waiting for me on the other side."

My eyes flickered to the princess's rooms, and I hoped that he was wrong – that Sophia was dead asleep, unable to hear their argument.

"You should know better," I said, giving him a light shove. He looked taken aback, placing a hand on his bare chest where his nightshirt dipped low. "You're the King. You're supposed to care about the pack, not take advantage of them."

I was thinking of my mother's past and my family's worries for me. I couldn't help the anger rising in me, and for a moment it overrode the insistent call to obey, obey, obey in the presence of the Alpha.

Gabriel's eyes flashed at my words and he rushed me until I was backed up against the wall, arms tight at my sides. His scent was overwhelming my senses and I closed my eyes against it.

"Have you not heard?" he said with a growl, "I do what I wish, when I wish. To whom I wish."

I felt his nose press into the pulse at the base of my throat, and he ran it up the length of my neck, inhaling deeply. I couldn't help tilting my chin up to give him more room, eyes squeezed tight.

My nipples were tightening again, but not because of the breeze this time.

Gabriel's left hand was gripping my wrist tightly. He nosed at my ear and I whimpered quietly, hot with embarrassment and longing.

But if he's distracted with me, maybe he won't bother with Sophia, I thought suddenly. The need to protect her princess was strong. Stronger even than a beta in the pack would feel; omegas were bred to submit fully, and my body was fighting in the presence of the Alpha of all alphas.

I stepped to the side, switching the grip on my wrist and tugging him along by the forearm toward my room.

Gabriel's brow furrowed as he tried to figure out what I was doing.

"I'm here for –" He started quietly, but I interrupted.

"I know. But when will I get another chance with you? I'm guessing once you're done with Sophia, you won't be coming back to her rooms."

I dipped my chin and tried to look seductive, glancing up at him through my lashes. The shadows sculpting Gabriel's face only made his confusion more apparent.

He tugged his wrist back weakly, surveying me.

"Tell me why I should waste my time on a maid when I can have a princess tonight."

My mind was spinning as I tried to look calm and composed. I took a slow, deep breath, breathing in his scent again. Sharp like citrus, making my mouth water. I consciously chose to let it affect me and knew that when the Alpha looked at me, he was seeing my eyes – the shift from brown to deep red.

"Because I just want to please my Alpha," I practically purred, stepping forward and pressing a hand to his lower abdomen. My thoughts were momentarily paused by the feel of his stomach muscles jumping under my touch. I glanced up and he looked as surprised as I felt. Was he actually affected by me?

Gabriel ran a hand slowly up my right thigh, gathering the thin shift I wore as he went. I held my breath. His fingers were cool, but lit a path of fire up my flesh, and I fought the urge to shake.

If being touched so briefly by him was like this, what would sex be like?

Now I was thinking of all of those stories I read, and I wondered what kind of lover he would be. Would be push me against the wall and take me from behind? Or be gentle, settling us down in the bed?

Gabriel's thumb reached the line of my panties and dipped below it, pulling the elastic and letting it go to snap against my hip. I jumped and gasped.

The king was grinning.

He leaned in close, breath hot on my ear.

"You better not let your princess hear you," he said, walking me backward until I was pressed against the French door that separated my bedroom from the living area.

With firm hands Gabriel turned me and pressed my body against the glass. My nipples dragged the shift and tightened at the feel of the cool glass.

The Alpha's hand fisted in my hair and he pulled my head back slowly. I stared wildly at the ceiling, not sure what to do next. I hadn't thought this far ahead.

"You haven't done this before, have you?" he asked in a gravelly voice.

For some reason I decided to tell the truth and shook my head.

I should have lied, I thought, squeezing my eyes shut as desire pooled between my thighs. I rubbed them together, trying to relieve the want.

Gabriel inhaled deeply against the back of my neck.

And then he let me go.

I felt very bare and alone suddenly. I whipped around to see the king walking casually toward the open window, the moonlight painting his features sharply. He glanced back at me.

"I wasn't looking for a challenge tonight," he said. "But don't think I won't be back. And you won't be able to stop me, little one."

He moved so quickly it was almost as though he partial-transformed, his body stretching and releasing in one long stride, and then he was gone. Out in the garden somewhere among that crisp night air and the heady scent of the flowers.

My chest was rising and falling erratically. I reached up to touch my throat, brushed my breasts by accident, and shivered.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr

Since Wattpad is deleting books, don't forget to follow me on Facebook (authormiakerr) where I'll be posting if deleted. It's also up on inkitt (Mia Kerr or search any of my books)