Protect and Serve

Start from the beginning

"Hey, guys," Jay called out and waved us into the wire room. 

"What's going on? We got a case?" Hailey questioned. 

"An officer-involved shooting. A bad one," Kim admitted. 

"What happened?" Kevin quizzed. 

"A buddy of mine in patrol sent over this civilian witness video. Somebody caught it on a cell phone," Jay spoke and nodded to Kim, who played the video. The video showed a police officer with his gun pointed at a black kid, who was arguing that he did nothing wrong, but the officer thought otherwise. When the kid didn't want to raise his hands, the officer shot him 4 times. I stared at the computer screen, trying hard to understand what was going through the officer's mind, but I couldn't. There was no valuable explanation for what just went down.

"Did the kid die?" Kevin asked. 

Jay nodded. "On the pavement." As all of us made our way into the bullpen, we came across Superintendent Miller, who was waiting with Voight at the head of the office.

"I'm assuming you all saw the video. It's not yet viral, but we will be putting every officer on immediate 12s. We expect mass protests and violence, so we will move fast. Officer Atwater, Officer Ruzek, I want you to go to Officer Wheelan's home and arrest him for murder," Miller ordered. So Adam and Kev went to go arrest Officer Wheelan, but after that, we discovered a problem. A big problem.

"Adam, Kev?" I ask into the phone. 

"Yeah, Y/n, we made the arrest. We're in transit," Adam told me. 

"Well, we've got a problem. There's a video we didn't know about. Jeff Duncan had an app on his phone that recorded the traffic stop and sent the full video to all of his emergency contacts. The video's gone viral. We've got unruly crowds at headquarters, City Hall, the jails, and south detention. We've also got death threats against Wheelan," I add. 

"Okay, Y/n, what are you telling us here?" Adam questioned. 

"I'm saying you can't bring him in yet. Not until we clear this out. Sorry," I say and type away at my computer. "There's a safe house about ten minutes from you. I'm going to send you everything right now. Just stay there, and we'll be quick, all right?" 

"Okay. Copy that," Adam said.

.....................................

"Sarge, our guys got ambushed," Jay informed us as he entered the bullpen, holding his radio up to his lips. "Are you guys okay? I heard the whole thing over the radio." 

"Yeah, somebody hit the safehouse," Adam replied. 

"What the hell does he mean, hit?" Kim asked. "Are you all right?" 

"Uh, we're fine. We hit one of the shooters, maybe two. Both were masked. I mean, the place was clearly compromised," Adam spoke. "They were there to kill Wheelan." 

"Adam, are you still at the house?" Voight questioned. 

"No, we're driving. Patrol said they were a minute out, but driving feels safer right now," Adam claimed. 

"Okay, we are heading to the safe house now, see what we can learn. Find a location off road, hang tight until we get you an escort, and use only your DCs to communicate," Voight ordered. At the crime scene, we all began to take a look around, and once we had seen everything we needed too, we grouped up. "What are we looking at?" 

"It looks like Atwater caught him center mass. We've got no name yet. They just printed him, but I'm thinking we're going to get a pop because he's got prison tats," Jay admitted.