chapter seventeen

Comincia dall'inizio

"Lourdes!" Her manager, Crystal called her over to the back of the diner. The diner had a small bathroom in the back, an area for everyone's personal belongings to be held during their shift, food storage, and a tiny manager's office. "Come to my office," Crystal gestured for her to follow her and she stood up from her seat.

"Ooh, someone's in trouble," Genesis snickered at her.

"Genesis, you shouldn't be sitting around, it's unprofessional. Go make yourself look busy," Crystal shooed her from her spot at the counter. Genesis let out a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes and muttering "Bitch," under her breath.

Lourdes followed Crystal to her office, awkwardly standing in front of the door and looking around the dingy room. The office was tiny, only able to fit a small desk, office chair, and a shelf to keep paperwork. Crystal took a seat on her chair and turned to face her, giving her a warm smile.

"You're not in trouble honey, I'm sending you home. No one is coming in and there's no point in paying two servers when we barely need one." Crystal told her, making her let out a sigh of relief. "I am going to need the tips you made today though, for tip pool," She turned around to turn on the desktop computer sitting on her desk.

Lourdes dug through the pocket of her apron and pulled out the tips she made, which was only a 20 dollar bill, and reluctantly handed it to her. With the money she was making at this rate, she wouldn't be able to pay for a margarita in the Bahamas.

"Hey Crystal, is there any way I can work a couple more days during the week? I'm saving up for a trip in a couple of weeks,"

Lourdes fidgeted anxiously as Crystal looked at the schedule she had on her computer. After a couple of moments, she let out an "Aha!" turning around to face her again. "You have perfect timing, Genesis wanted her hours cut so I can give you Thursday, Friday, and Sunday nights! I can also give you Saturday mornings if you want, it would be 8 to 4 and the rest of the nights are 5 to closing,"

Lourdes contemplated for a moment, she really did need the money but with this schedule, she would barely have time to breathe. The latest class she had ended at 3 on Thursdays, so it would work out fine but she would basically just live at the diner and campus from now on. She looked back at Crystal who was staring at her with anticipation.

She gave her a tight smile and nodded, "Yeah that's fine, thank you so much." Crystal gave her a thumbs up and added her to the schedule, letting her know she was free to go. She walked out of the office and grabbed her things from her locker, slipping on her coat and taking off her apron. She went back to the front where Genesis was back to sitting, but in a booth this time and secretly texting.

Genesis looked up when she heard footsteps approaching, frowning at seeing Lourdes looking like she was leaving. "And where the hell you think you going? You not leaving me alone here,"

"Crystal sent me home, she also gave me all of your shifts you gave up so you should be happy,"

"Wait what? She gave you all of my shifts?" Genesis gaped at her, "You know you gon' be working like every day now? That's like suicide,"

"Yeah," Lourdes bit her lip.