9 | the black lake

"You told me you figured it out already," Abigail spoke accusingly. "The task is in two days."

"Really?" Harry replied sarcastically, "I had no idea."

"You are trying to figure this egg, right?" she asked him.

Harry raised an eyebrow at this, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, you got lucky with the dragon. These tasks are meant to be cruel, Harry," Abigail explained, "Nerve won't be enough this time."

His eyes narrowed on the girl, "I appreciate the vote of confidence."

"I wasn't trying to be-" she began but stopped. "I want you to figure out the egg, okay? I want you to survive this task. I wasn't trying to offend you."

Harry watched her for a moment before shaking his head, "I have to go. I have a task to figure out."

"Wait - Harry!" she shouted after him but he was already gone.

"Harry, tell me again," Hermione demanded. It was now the night before the task and Harry had figured out the egg thanks to Cedric but had no idea what it meant.

"Come seek us where our voices sound," he repeated.

"The black lake, that's obvious."

"An hour long you'll have to look."

"Again obvious, though I must admit, potentially problematic."

"Potentially problematic?" Harry scoffed, "When was the last time you held your breath under the water for an hour, Hermione?"

"That's why we're here, isn't it?" Abigail inquired, "So we can figure out how exactly you're supposed to hold your breath for an hour."

"Hate to break up this scholar session but Professor McGonagall would like to see you in her office," Moody announced, "Not you Potter, just Lupin and Granger."

"But sir, the second task is only hours away and..." Hermione trailed off.

"Exactly. Presumably Potter is well prepared by now and could do with a good night's sleep. Go. Now!" he shouted and Abigail and Hermione were quick to walk out of the library.

"What do you think it's about?" Abigail inquired.

"No idea."

Neville and Harry made their way to the lake. "I just wanted to help," Neville pointed out as they arrived at the lake.

"Well that makes you a sight better than Abigail, Ron and Hermione," Harry replied with a huff, "Where are they anyway?"

"You seem a little tense Harry."

"Do I?" he inquired.

"Welcome to the second task. Last night something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts," Dumbledore announced over the speaker.

"These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the Black Lake. In order to win, each champion needs only to find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this, they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that they'll be on their own."

"Harry!" Ron shouted as he approached him, "You did find something, right?"

"Put that in your mouth," Moody stated as he handed the boy gill weed and he did so.

He chewed on the gillyweed and Ron watched in disgust before he started choking.

"You may begin at the start of the cannon," Dumbledore explained.