"What happened to you?" Harry asked.

"He just asked Fleur Delacour out," Ginny explained as Hermione re-emerged.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"What did she say?" Abigail inquired.

"No, of course." Ron shook his head at this and Hermione gaped, "She said yes?"

"There she was walking by," Ron explained. "You know how I like it when they walk," he addressed Harry and he nodded. "I couldn't help it, it just sort of slipped out."

"Actually he sort of screamed at her," Ginny corrected. "It was a bit frightening."

"What did you do then?" Harry asked.

"What else?" Ron replied, "I ran for it. I'm not cut out for this Harry. I don't know what got into me."

The time came and went and eventually it was time for the Yule Ball. "Almost done," Abigail stated as she curled the last strand of Hermione's hair. "Ta-da."

Hermione smiled at her reflection and Ginny walked over, "You look beautiful, Hermione."

She blushed at this and turned to face Abigail, "You have to get ready!"

"It'll only take me a moment," she shrugged off.

"It starts in fifteen minutes," Hermione pointed out, "Hurry."

"Alright, alright," Abigail replied and walked off to the bathroom to change into her dress.

She left the bathroom and spun around jokingly, "How do I look?"

Hermione grinned at the girl and walked over, linking their arms, "Harry's in for quite the show."

Abigail grinned despite herself, "Says the one who's going to have Ron begging on his knees."

The two made their way to where Viktor was waiting for Hermione, "I'll leave you to it."

"I was serious, Abby," Hemrione stated as she pulled her back, "You can hang out with us after the champion dance."

"I was serious too," Abigail nodded, "I am not third wheeling. I'll catch up with you later."

Abigail walked into the hall quickly, trying to get in before anyone noticed that she had arrived and was indeed without a date. Although she supposed that was her own fault.

She slipped in around the back and appeared behind Ron and his date, Padma Patil, as Hermione and Viktor entered the room.

"Is that Hermione Granger?" Padma inquired, "With Viktor Krum?"

"No," Ron shook his head, "Absolutely not."

"Seems someone actually registered that she was indeed a girl long before you did," Abigail spoke from behind them and Ron jumped clearly not expecting her to be there.

The music began to play loudly throughout the hall and the champions along with their dates began dancing.

"No one told him they would have to dance, did they?" Abigail asked and Ron nodded, clearly feeling embarrassed for his friend.

Barely a minute into the dance, Harry stepped on Parvati's foot and she fell. Her sister quickly ran over and Abigail felt bad for Harry who stood there among the champions with no dance partner.

She let out a breath before walking past Ron who looked confused at the action and took Parvati's place as her sister carried her off. "What are you doing?" Harry inquired as he made an attempt at matching his steps with Abigail's.

"Saving your ass," she replied with a light smile, "Wouldn't be the first time, now, would it?"

They continued dancing as more pairs joined in, the two of them dancing in silence until the song ended. They separated almost immediately and Harry cleared his throat awkwardly, "I-"

But before Abigail could hear what he had to say, Hermione had grabbed her wrist and was pulling her away to dance to the now far more upbeat song.

"I told you I didn't want to be a third wheel," Abigail shouted over the noise and Hermione shot her a pointed look.

"It's far better than whatever awkward conversation you were about to experience with Harry."

Abigail couldn't help but agree to this as they continued dancing.

"It's Abigail, right?" a boy inquired from behind her and she turned to see that it was Cedric, the other Hogwarts champion, "Cedric Diggory. We met at the World Cup in the summer?"

"Yeah, I remember," she nodded. "I know who you are."

"Just thought I'd introduce myself properly," he explained, "I have to get back to my date but I'll see you around, I suppose?"

"Yeah," Abigail smiled in agreement but as soon as he walked away, her smile dropped and she stopped dancing. She turned to Hermione who was dancing with Krum, "I'm going to take a break, I'll see you later."

"You know typically when a person takes someone as a date to a dance they actually dance with said person," Abigail pointed out as she sat down next to Ron and Harry.

"I would be dancing had I come with the person I actually wanted to be with," Harry pointed out and Abigail frowned at the comment.

A boy from Durmstrang walked up to Parvati a moment later and invited her to dance to which she quickly accepted. Her sister looked over in jealousy before slouching back in her chair.

"Hot isn't it?" Hermione stated as she approached her friends, "Viktor's gone to get drinks. Care to join us?"

"No, we'd not care to join you and Viktor," Ron scowled.

"What's got your wand in a knot?"

"He's a Durmstrang," he pointed out, "You're fraternising with the enemy."

"The enemy? Who was it wanting his autograph?" Hermione pointed out, "Besides, the whole point of the tournament is international magical cooperation. To make friends."

"I think he's got a bit more than friendship on his mind."

Hermione rolled her eyes at the boy before walking off.

"Are you going to ask me to dance or not?" Ron's date asked him.

"No," he replied with a pout and the girl stood up and walked off.

Ron mumbled something quickly to Harry who tried to protest but he left before he could, leaving Harry and Abigail alone.

"I think I'm going to head back to the common room," Abigail concluded, "I'm tired and it's been a long day."

"Yeah, me too," Harry agreed and the two stood and prepared for the awkward walk back to the portrait.

Harry and Abigail made their way out of the ball room and overheard the shouting in the hall. They exchanged looks as they approached the bickering pair.

"Next time there's a ball, pluck up the courage and ask me before somebody else does, and not as a last resort," Hermione pointed out bitterly.

Ron grew flustered at this and waved it off, "Well that's completely off the point."

"Where have you been?" Hermione demanded as soon as Harry and Abigail walked up, "Nevermind! Off to bed both of you."

"They get scary when they get older," Ron whispered to Harry as they started to walk away.

"Ron you spoiled everything!" Hermione exclaimed and Ron and Harry quickly ran off. Hermione collapsed on the stairs and placed her head in her hands as she began to cry. Abigail sat down next to her.

The pair sat in silence for a moment before Hermione broke the silence, "God, he's such an idiot."

"He is indeed," Abigail agreed and Hermione rested her head on the girl's shoulder as students walked past them. "He'll figure himself out soon enough, though. At least one would hope so."