⁘Chapter 10⁘

Shreyas Iyer

Tara was pregnant. A part of me was still in disbelief but it finally struck me that she's was quite serious when she said this was a contract, she wasn't in love with me. Nor will she ever be, because her heart was written off to Ajay. I sighed softly, leaning back into the couch. Sheikh snapped me out of my thoughts with a rude sneeze.

"Sorry, I haven't gotten the smell of chili powder out of my nose." He sniffed and cleared his throat. His glasses slid down his nose, a smile tugged at my lips. My best friend, well, Rishabh would be very offended but Sheikh came first. I couldn't help myself, I inhaled to comment with a snarky remark, "Well, maybe you shouldn't cook then, it'd save the rest of our stomachs as well."

"Bhai?" My sister stuck her head inside the room with a wide grin, "It's time."

I quickly rose from my feet, Sheikh smacked my back with a smile of his own.  My parents beamed with joy, and there was my so-called bride. She wore a baby blue lengha and shone under the expensive lighting. My teammates grinned ear-to-ear as I froze momentarily taking in how beautiful she looked. Her blue lengha had a golden border twirled as she turned around to face me. Her brown eyes met mine, and she raised an eyebrow impatiently. Her red lips pressed together as she analyzed me with a tight smile. I strode up to her, and entwined my hand in hers. "You clean up well, Iyer." She hummed,

I glanced down at my own traditional outfit, which had been carefully picked out by my sibling. I grinned at her, "You as well, Patel."

Ajay sulked near the somewhat background, Tara's gaze flitted to him and I saw her happy expression drop for a momentary second. The moment he saw Tara, he turned away, Tara's eyes clouded with hurt as she forced herself to look away. My father quickly passed me the ring box for the engagement, and the two of us had to greet our close circle of friends and family. The aroma of the food made my stomach grumble that I'd wasted my cheat day eating ice cream while I could have enjoyed this. Tara hid a grin, "Hungry?"

"Shut up," I mumbled with a huff. Tara shrugged and quickly smiled at Virat who was coming over to congratulate us. Anushka hugged her, and the two of them exchanged a quick word about her company and they hurried away with Vamika trotting behind them, struggling to keep up. The engagement was soon wrapped up, a pile of gifts were stuffed away into a car. Waiting outside, arguing with the giant man we hired to let in guests I saw a familiar face.

Rita Sharma.

An ex-girlfriend of mine, I heard her high pitched voice screech, "Shreyas is my friend, I want to be let inside!"

"Your not on the guest list," Abdul, the entrance guard, sighed. Rita's green eyes found mine, as she squealed and took off towards me. "SHREYAS!"

Crap

***

Goal: Five Comments and Seven Votes
Meet da goal to unlock the next chapter