His nose scrunched in refusal. "Nah, I'll pass. My manager, Yunjae, is coming over in thirty minutes to talk about some paperwork or something."

Hyerin beamed. "Aww, look at you with your world class fame and infinite advertisement offers. Acting all professional with your paperwork and shit," she teased.

Jonghyun flipped her off. "Oh, shut up. Trust me, I would rather do something else."

She shook her head in amusement as she stood to pick up her bag from the floor. "Well, I better go. I promised dad I would be home around eight-thirty."

"Okay, then. Sorry I couldn't drive you home. Yunjae's being an asshole." He kissed the top of her head. "Take care, you brat."

She nodded and headed towards the door. "See you!"

"Yeah, and tell dad I'll make it up to him next time."

- - - - -

"Welcome home, honey!"

Hyerin slammed the door behind her, eyelids fluttering closed as she took in the scent of the mouth-watering aroma of her father's cooking. 

"What are you making?" she asked incredulously, heading straight towards the kitchen.

"Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables on the side," Myungjae, her father, brightly announced.

"Nice." She grinned. She took a peek at the dish before kissing him on the cheek. "This is seriously the best. Thanks, dad."

"You haven't even tasted it yet."

"How was your day?"

"How was your day?" he returned, splitting the food into two separate plates. 

Hyerin shrugged. "It was okay, I guess. School was boring like always."

He gave her a pointed look.

"...But I still cope with it somehow?" she added with a cheeky grin. "Then I went to Jonghyun's."

"Hey, don't bother your brother too much. I think you're forgetting that he's a busy man now," he said, handing her a plate of food.

Hyerin murmured thanks. "I know, but he's the one who keeps calling me."

He snickered to himself. "What do you guys do anyway? You're always up to something."

Hyerin peeked at him from the corner of her eye, watched as he poured himself a glass of wine. He was an extremely clever, extremely wealthy entrepreneur, but Hyerin was never sure what kind. She never asked. He was the type of man who knew everything about the whole marketing industry, knew all information and detail that normal people wouldn't know. He had mastered how to make his colleagues shut up with just one word, mastered how to make anyone in his presence feel stupid. He was quick-witted and smart like that.

But he had yet to find out what Hyerin and Jonghyun were up to.

"Oh, you know. Just chilling," she shrugged casually, slicing the steak with her knife, "talking about stuff."

"What stuff?" 

"Stuff old men shouldn't be meddling about," she teased, earning herself a flick on the forehead. "Ow!"

"Here I am cooking food for you and you call me an old man?" Myungjae chuckled. "What did Hana teach you, huh?"

Just by the mention of her late mother, the room fell silent.