𐐒𐐚 18 : lantern rite ˎˊ˗

Start from the beginning

Distinct chatter can be heard from a distance, fortunately not that loud to disturb the adeptus' train of thoughts ongoing as you both waited for the grand scene to happen.

You only focused on the happenings in the Harbor and decided to let the adeptus be for a while. Later on your eyes landed upon some familiar figures strolling around the streets like Zhongli, Hu Tao and Xiangling.

Xiangling was accompanied by three other people who seemed to be her age as well, one of them being the director in Wangsheng Funeral Parlor and the other two were cobalt-haired and arctic one.

A small smile was then carved on your lips unknowingly as you watched them endlessly converse with one another.

The chatter of the crowd slowly faded out, and you thought to check the adeptus from your left.

You quickly turned to the side and caught him gazing at you, if you were one second late you wouldn't have caught wind of what he's doing.

He immediately shifted his sight away acting as if he wasn't caught seconds ago. He pursed his lips and stayed silent.

"Bold of you to tell me to quit ogling at you when you're literally doing the same." You spoke, a bit arrogant in your tone.

Xiao retorts, "The only difference between you and I is that I possess no malicious intents when I look at someone."

You only rolled your eyes at his horrible comeback and shifted your position closer to him, wiggling from your butt and legs as Xiao only cringed from how you looked like while doing so.

Embarassing, sure but you only laughed it off and found Xiao's reaction amusing. A loud noise soon banged into your ears, catching your attention and thus-

Firecrackers were launched into the sky. Blaring sounds of popping for a minute echoing throughout the city, a group of people then gathered on a particular spot, tugging on the rope that secured the Mingxiao Lantern on its place.

People also got in line and they counted from five to one in unison and as soon as they reached the last number, they let go of the rope. The Mingxiao Lantern was then released along with the citizens' lanterns, steadily hovering into the dark seabeds of sky.

Not only did the Mingxiao Lantern drifted above, it also danced along with the cold breeze of the wind that had the adeptus enthralled of the breathtaking view.

You immediately looked at the adeptus to see if he was having fun during the moment, and your expectation did not betray you one bit.

He was looking up above, his eyes seemingly having difficult at which lantern he should gawk at. His mouth falls agape, overwhelmed by the hundreds of lanterns illuminating the vast, dark, moonlit sky.

Chills ran up and down your spine, now this is a sight you don't get to see everyday.

A beaming smile crept on Xiao's lips, a smile that could warm hearts of the many. A smile that could thaw even the thickest snow in Dragonspine and Snezhnaya within a span of several seconds.

There your heart raced as each second passed by.

Forget about the lantern sky, Xiao's smile had you captivated and spellbound.

It felt like you fell for him all over again.

His golden, amber orbs reflected each lantern up above, keeping  him engrossed and absorbed in the moment that he wasn't able to realize the emotions he's feeling.

You thought of not disturbing the adeptus' sightseeing as you are perfectly content of the view of him being happy.

This is only your first Lantern Rite and you couldn't ask for more than spending it with him and seeing this sight with your own two eyes.

You suddenly forgot that you brought a mini Xiao Lantern that Jingming taught you and Xiangling how to make. You shuffled through your pockets and exhaled in relief as you felt the tiny craft in your palms.

"Hm? What is it?" Xiao hums in question and peered at what you brought out from your pockets.

"These are two tiny Xiao Lanterns I made with the help of Jingming, you know, the guy who's supervised of making the Xiao Lanterns." You responded, "This one's for you and this one is for me." Continuing what you said as you handed him the other one.

Xiao only furrowed his brows as he held the tiny craft with his own gloved hands. "I highly doubt such a miniature would reach the depths of the sky above."

"Of course, these weren't made to be released at all!" You snickered as the man only had an even more confused expression painted on his face.

"That's where you come in, my beloved Xiao!"

He cringed at the beloved yet a dust of rosy pink tint spread across his cheeks.

"With your anemo power, you can make them float and drift into the sky." Enthusiastically explaining to him, he bit his lip from preventing to beam a small smile from the euphoria he's feeling.

"Let's make a wish first, in our minds only. Then, you do the rest of the magic."

Initiating the wish making, you closed your eyes and thought of a wish you desired for to come true the whole time.

"I wish for Xiao to no longer succumb to solicitude he doesn't find himself happy in."

Meanwhile the adeptus' wish was simple.

He wished to spend the next Lantern Rite with you, and if possible, all the future Lantern Rites too.

A selfless wish it could have been, but Xiao is the person who showed you that there are more moments worth living in life.

"Under the lantern skies, I hope to see more of his smiles and the glimmering hope in his amber eyes."

˖  ਏਓ   ˖

༺ ˖࣪  ∗ ਏਓ ∗  ˖࣪ ༻