I Only Wanted (WhitRiah)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

And then Whitney started showing interest in Eddie. It was the last straw for Mariah when she learned they were going on a date.

"Anyways, like I said, hopefully she learns this time," Mariah adds.

"Damn, I should have known something was up. Whitney can get a little boy crazy sometimes."

"Good for her. Or is it?"

Suddenly Mariah hears shifting in the background on Luther's end.

"Sorry, babe, I gotta get ready to take my mother to her appointment, but please call Whitney. I know for a fact she'll be glad to hear from you," he said. "You still have her number?"

"Nope."

"Oh man," he chuckles. "Here, take this down."

Mariah does. She debates on reaching out because she's still salty about what transpired with Whitney. She thought the kiss meant something. But what a blow it was to find out Whitney had been interested in someone else the whole time. She felt played. She felt stupid.

Did she feel some satisfaction knowing how things turned out with Eddie?

Yes.

But still, something did not sit right with her about Whitney being devastated over this guy. Locking herself in her room and crying over him a day later? That was unacceptable.

Mariah plays the conversation in her head as she begins to get dinner ready. As she brings the pot to a boil, she takes a breath and calls Whitney.

"Hello? Who's this?" Whitney answers.

Mariah can't help her amusement. "So you deleted my number too, huh?"

"Mariah?" Whitney says not even a second later. She might as well have gasped.

"Yes, ma'am. Luther gave me your number."

"Oh wow," Whitney laughs. "Hi Mariah. I'm surprised to hear from you. And yes, I did delete your number because you stopped returning my calls."

"Mhm. So how are you?"

"That's all you're gonna say?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I thought you would go into why you were ignoring me."

"Does it really matter? That was almost a month ago."

Whitney sighs through her nose. "Yes, it matters because I thought we—never mind. If you don't care, neither do I."

"Um, if I didn't care I wouldn't be on the phone with you now. Luther told me you were sad and that I should check on you, so here I am."

Whitney got quiet.

"Mhm," Mariah smirked. "Look, I'm sorry this happened to you. Eddie's an asshole and he doesn't deserve you."

"What did Luther tell you?"

"...That he stood you up. Twice."

Whitney sighs. "I feel so stupid."

Mariah almost wants to hug her. "Hey, it's okay. We all go through it at least once. It's not the end of the world. He showed you who he is, believe him and move on."

"I just don't understand why he would do this..." Whitney sniffled.

"Are you crying again?"

"No," she said croakily.

Mariah shakes her head and gazes at her view of the city skyline. She debates going to her house.

"I shouldn't have chosen him over you," Whitney says, stunning the blonde. "Mariah?" she calls when the line is still quiet.

"Yeah, I'm here. Look, it's whatever. I'm not mad about it, I moved on a long time ago.

Now it was quiet on Whitney's end for a bit.

"If you don't stop crying over him, we're gonna have a problem though," Mariah lovingly warns.

Whitney laughs.

Mariah smiles at the sound. "Seriously, he ain't even all that."

"Mariah?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I come over?"

Mariah nearly closes her eyes at the caress of the question.

"Please? It's been too long..." The need not just want is clear in her voice.

"Um, are you in the right state of mind to make the trip?"

"Yeah, babe. I'll see you soon."

AN: More?