Chapter 20: Reckoning (BEING REWRITTEN!!!)

Start from the beginning

"Who was it?" Ingressus asked.

"Hmm?"

Ingressus tried again. "Who was with me last night? I couldn't really tell who it was."

"Oh, that was Serena," Raineus said bluntly. "You'd think with the way she acted I think she thought you were going to die. She insisted on staying here all the time. She wouldn't stop talking or fussing about you when we would visit. It was getting so annoying. Every time it was always 'Do you think he's comfortable? He's burning up with a fever again,' or 'I can hear his stomach growling from here.' She just wouldn't stop," Raineus chuckled.

Ingressus felt like a rock had been dropped in the pit of his stomach.

The shadow in front of the light... had been Serena?!

Ingressus felt remorse and a pinch of guilt. He remembered how he'd been snappish and cold towards the figure. He hadn't realized it had been one of his friends... But even when he had been rude to her, harshly complaining in a condescending tone, Serena had replied and answered each of his questions with hushed tranquility, and a poised peace of mind.

But if it had been her, why had she felt the need to not tell him about the fight with the Magnorite? Every time he asked, she had attempted to redirect his thoughts to other topics.

Ingressus slowly stood up, feeling light-headed while he did so. He wobbled slightly, stopping to let the dizziness pass. Then cautiously walked to the other side of the room. Reaching up, he grabbed a few snacks off the wooden shelves before taking a seat.

He tore off small chunks of bread, chewing them slowly, determined to keep his food down.

So a Magnorite had been the threat... It seemed they had all made it out of the supply cave. But that hulking giant had been stubborn, breaking through his intended imprisonment before help could arrive.

"Where did you all go? I remember we all got separated in the woods," Ingressus said.

Tealeon leaned back against the wall. "We did what we had to, we sprinted all the way to the village. Thankfully, someone had been alerted of the situation. When a few of the warriors had gathered, everyone heard the blood-curdling yell."

Tealeon's face became etched with disgust, resenting the remembrance of hearing the unpleasant sound. Ingressus also felt uneasy... the Magnorite's yell had seemed so loud when it rang throughout the forest. The call that had brought the others later...

"After that, they followed the noise," Tealeon continued. "I guess there had been more threats than just the Magnorite. Apparently, some humans made a deal with the brute and were working together with him. The warriors didn't tell us anything more than that. By the time the thieves fled, there were more pressing and important matters to deal with."

"The warriors didn't go after them?" Ingressus asked.

"They couldn't, not with you and-"

"Okay, Tealeon I think he gets the idea," Raineus interrupted. "Let Ingressus finish his food, he looks like he needs it."

Ingressus stopped mid-chew. He narrowed his eyes, studying Raineus. His friend was always more of a jokester, the one who often 'lightened the load,' like he had done minutes before. And yet the way he spoke so casually now, almost too casually. It made Ingressus ponder... it wasn't like Raineus to do such a thing. What had Tealeon been meaning to say?

'Him and...' Ingressus paused as a thought dawned on him. There had been only one other ardoni beside him in the midst of the chaos that day. However long ago it had been since... The only one who hadn't run back to the village, but instead winded up with him. The ardoni Ingressus had been reassuring and calming while urging him to find his inner fighter when danger had been ever approaching. The one who had stood strongly, despite his quaking fear.