Chapter 29: Gum Drops + Groovin'

Start from the beginning

Ranboo shuffled and waved at the thunderous clapping. He took a deep breath as the applause died down. There was no musical intro for him, when he dropped his hand, Tubbo would play the first note on the piano and he would have to sing in front of a large crowd of people. He was leading a band that had a high standard and reputation.

His hand fell suddenly and he heard his starting note.

I can dim the lights and sing you songs full of sad things

We can do the tango just for two

The tall boy looked back at his pianist who nodded eagerly.

I can serenade and gently play on your heart strings

Be your Valentino just for you

The next chords from the piano came out more aggressively as Tommy hit a few of his drums.

Ooh, love, ooh  lover boy~

What're you doin' tonight?

Hey boy!

Set my alarm, turn on my charm

That's because I'm a good old fashioned lover boy~

Ranboo took a deep breath as he felt his confidence grow. He took the microphone and he started to develop his stage presence. He had watched Wilbur do it countless times. He dragged his feet slightly as he sang into the mic until he was by the piano with Tubbo, sitting down on the bench with him facing towards Tommy.

I'd like for you and I to go romancing

Wilbur stared in shock with a nod of approval at the boys three part harmony and continued to softly play the guitar.

---

The band played and assortment of Artic Monekys for Tommy's enjoyment of going crazy in drums, and some slower songs that Tubbo played on the piano with Wilbur singing. They took suggestions from the crowds and played what they knew.

"Hey babe I'm gonna go get drinks, okay?" Nick squeezed Karl's hand.

Karl nodded and quickly pecked the older boys cheek before turning back to the band.

Nick had been gone for a few minutes when Karl decided to go looking for him. He waved to the others to let them know he was wandering off before he made his way to where the snack table was. Dinner would be served soon as the teachers were scurrying about making sure tables were set. Karl stepped out to the less crowded commons. The temperature dropped by 5 degrees, the doors leading to court yards were opened letting in a nice breeze. Karl scanned the area before he noticed his boyfriend and an all to familiar head of blond hair.

"Jess get off of me, you're drunk," Nick said sternly.

"I'm not drunk," Jess slurred slightly.

"Yes you are you need to go-"

Karl couldn't move as he watched Jess kiss his boyfriend.

And he couldn't stop the tears when he watched as Nick hesitated to pull away.

---

Katie and Maddie were now concerned about both boys and decided to go look for them. They found Karl, standing in the middle of the hall, silently crying as he stared at Nick, who sat on a bench. One hand in his hair, and one hand over his mouth as he stared back at his boyfriend.

His heart was racing, he had just messed up. Karl had seen it all. He didn't know. He didn't know why he hesitated. He didn't like it. Her lips didn't fit right with his. They were sticky from thick coats of lip gloss and were to forceful.