"Morning Betty," Remus said. "Toast?"

"No thanks," Betty said quickly as she looked at the mess made in the kitchen that they had made for coffee and toast. "Do neither of you know how to clean up?" 

"I have work to do," Lyall grumbled as he set down the newspaper and grabbed his coat. "Have Remus help you."

And with that, Lyall apparated out of the house, leaving the Lupin siblings. 

"Rem?" Betty asked desperately, and Remus answered, or rather James Potter practically breaking down the door answered for him.

"It's a new day and the possibilities are endless!" James exclaimed as he strutted into the house.

"What happened?" Remus asked knowingly as a smile adorned itself on his face. 

"I finally thought of the way Evans is going to drop Diggory for me," James announced proudly.

"Likely story," Betty scoffed as she put her dad's plate in the dishwasher. 

"What's got your knickers in a twist, Lupin?" James asked, glaring at her slightly.

"You know what," Betty replied darkly, causing James to shut up as he didn't want to touch that subject. 

"Calm down Prongs," Sirius said as he came up from behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Betty and James, however, did not stop glaring at each other. James was the first to break away when he looked back at Remus excitedly. 

"We have to get Wormtail, it's going to be outta sight," James exclaimed. "And finally, she'll be with the better man."

Betty rolled her eyes, but continued to clean the kitchen, wiping the counters. 

"Remus has to stay here," she announced. "And help me clean up."

"Says who?" James challenged. "I don't see your dad here."

"Yes, well he said it as he left," Betty informed him.

"He did say it in passing Betty," Remus reasoned. "And besides, it's nothing you can't handle. You're incredible at practically everything."

"Are you joking?" Betty scoffed.

"I owe you!" Remus called back as he grabbed his coat and apparated off with his friends.

And suddenly, Betty was alone. 

"Stupid ... fucking ... Potter," Betty grumbled as she finished scrubbing the pan that her father had used to make god knows what. 

She started to tear up with anger, knowing that a couple of years ago — before Remus had met them — he never would've left. He would have stayed put and coaxed her into a long-awaited cry. But no, because of dickhead Potter and foolish quest to break up a perfectly happy couple, he just had to drag Remus out. Away from her. 

She put one hand on the counter, the other over her forehead as she let out a sob. She fought every single tear that threatened to spill, resulting in hyperventilation and her body starting to shake. She leaned over the counter, covering her eyes with her arms, trying to steady her breathing as her body releasing every emotion she'd bottled for three and a half months.

She jumped when she heard a crack come from the fireplace, signaling a visitor. 

"I know you said you didn't want us to visit, but I was so worried- oh dear," Philippa Morgan's voice rang out as she rushed over to the hyperventilating girl. "It's going to be alright."