Today my father gifted me a black mare that he brought home all the way from Charlottetown. I decided to name her Pickles as it was the first thing that came to my mind. Back home in France it was normal for girls to ride horses, so I will ride her tomorrow.

Gilbert and I have become especially close. I feel like I am free to be whoever I want when I am with him, and we tell each other everything on our walks to and from school. Ruby and the others have accepted our friendship, and choose to not bother me about it.

Diana and I are quite concerned about Anne, so we decided that we will bring her some baked goods along with help from Ruby. 

"Goodbye mother we are headed to Anne's house!" I called from the front door. When Ruby and Diana saw my home their mouths dropped and thy insisted we spent some time exploring. They were especially interested in my brother, and I ushered them on not wanting to be around him any longer than I had to.

The walk to Green Gables wasn't long, and we filled it with small talk. A farm boy walked past us as we trudged up to the home. "Hello ladies." he called and I replied with a simple hello. 

After speaking with Mrs. Cuthbert, I could tell that she had no idea what Anne was up to either. I assume that she had been skipping school for her own benefit somehow.

~

I decided that I would tack up Pickles and go for a ride today. The weather is marvelous and it is nice to get away from the strict standards of my family sometimes.  I quickly left the grounds before my mother insisted I stay home, and rode towards Gilbert's house.

I knew the way from walking home together so much. I also met Gilbert's father a while ago and I absolutely adore him. He has such a kind soul, and I offered to help if he ever needed it. I know his sickness troubles Gilbert a lot, so Mr. Blythe made me promise that I would help get his mind off of things.

"Gilbert!" I yelled riding up to his house. I saw him run out of the barn and turned towards him, "Want to go for a ride?" He contemplated my question before running back into the barn. I sat there waiting for a few minutes before he rode out next to me on his tan horse.

"Where are we going?" He asked with a confused look. "Wherever your heart takes you, Mr. Blythe." I said in a posh French accent. He chuckled before continuing on, me right by his side.

~

I jolted out of bed to the sound of an alarm blaring. Quickly, I ran to my window to see a house on fire not too far away. "Father! We have to go help! Hurry!" I ran downstairs to see him ordering some helpers around. 

"Delilah, go grab a bucket or two and wait for me outside!" He called and I followed his instructions. One of the helpers had Pickles, along with my father's horse ready to go. I jumped up with buckets in my arms, and we made our way to the house as fast as we could.

We reached the smoldering house and I could feel the heat even from a distance. There were already a bunch of men helping put out the fire, and I spotted Gilbert in the front of it all on the roof. We made eye contact and he quickly nodded letting me know he was okay.

Anne and Diana ran up to me giving me a quick hug. We watched on as everyone tried to put out the blaze. "Why are the doors and windows open?" Anne asked. "Fire needs oxygen." I said grabbing her in realization.

We quickly dunked a few blankets in water and ran into the burning house. "I'll get upstairs, you get down!" I called to Anne through the thick smoke. I quickly ran up the stairs, avoiding falling debris.

Using the blankets to block the bottom of the door, I was cutting off any oxygen from the fire. The smoke was getting worse, but I knew that this was the only way they would be able to stop the fire.

I reached to close a door and saw Gilbert in the window, "Delilah?" He shouted and I quickly slammed the door. Noticing that all of them were closed, I went to make my way down the stairs but I was cut off by a falling beam. 

I sprinted through the halls of Ruby's home looking for a way downstairs with the smoke filling my lungs. I dropped to the ground coughing heavily. Finding a set of stairs, I ran down and stumbled outside. "Delilah!" Anne and Diana called running over to me.

"Anne and Delilah slowed down the fire!" Jerry called to the others. My mother ran over to me crying before wrapping me in a tight hug. Everything was going to be alright.

~

We all stood around the Gillis' house as a prayer way being read. My white nightgown was now pitch black along with my face, but I didn't mind at all, I was just happy to help.

Gilbert walked over to me smiling before gently wiping a wet cloth along my face. I blushed, even though I doubt anyone could see it and thanked him. "I can't imagine that I look too elegant right now. My mother will be disappointed." I joked with him.

He smiled looking down, "You look beautiful. You always do." I couldn't help the grin that slid onto my face, and I was glad when I heard my mother call me over. "I'll see you later Mr. Blythe." He blushed, "Good day Lilah." 

The new nickname he gave me brought butterflies to my stomach.