“I know. Grandfather said that when I am six years old, I have to go register and apply for an ID card.”

“You’re very lucky you found me as soon as you transmigrated here. If it were someone else who was sent to the ancient times, I guess they’d end up being treated as a lunatic, or they’d be sent to the police station or a detention center, without an identity.”

Rong Ting made a sound of agreement, then raised his head to look at Song Yuan. “Empress Mother has given so much preface. Is it to tell me that Emperor Father does not have a registered household?”

Song Yuan: “…”

“I didn’t say he was your Emperor Father.”

“The results of the paternity test have come out, no?”

The two spoke at the same time.

Song Yuan was the first to give in. She suddenly discovered that the thing called IQ was probably innate. She couldn’t even play a five- or six-year-old child. One could only imagine how desolate she used to be in the rear palace.

“The results came out, and he’s indeed your Emperor Father. But!” Song Yuan emphasized, her expression growing serious, “but he took over someone else’s identity. The person he replaced is not an ordinary person. His family has money and illegitimate children fighting over the property. If he gets closer to us, and if it’s found out by other people that he has a relationship with you, then he will probably end up very miserable through the means of the B City elites.”

Rong Ting frowned. “How could…”

In his heart, Emperor Father was omnipotent. In the Great Ye dynasty4, everyone’s life and death was held in Emperor Father’s grasp. When had such an indomitable man’s safety ever been hanging by a thread?

“Why not? I’ve told you many times, this place isn’t the Great Ye dynasty. You are not the crown prince, and he is not the emperor. You used to be the crown prince, so you should know what it means to have overwhelming power. Let’s make an analogy. Let’s say you hadn’t transmigrated to find me, and one day a person appeared who looked exactly like me. You thought she was me, but it turned out she was a fake. What would you do?”

Naturally, he would wish to cut her into pieces.

“His current situation is not good. If the Xie family suspects he is wallowing in the mire5 with us–”

Rong Ting disapprovingly interrupted her. “Empress Mother mustn’t misuse the idiom. What ‘wallowing in the mire’? It is an incorrect phrase.”

“When the Xie family finds out, they will think that we are conspiring together, trying to steal their family’s property without lifting a finger6. Then we will suffer a calamity. Gugu, how did your Emperor Father teach you before? If you encounter someone who wants to steal your things, what should you do?”

How did Emperor Father teach him?

“Emperor Father once told me that there were emperors who feared death as they grew old. They would be afraid to give up their authority and wouldn’t want to let go of the dragon throne, and they would do something muddleheaded. He said he was not sure he wouldn’t become like that in the future.”