Chapter One

La Fayette, Alabama. Which is 2,138 miles away from everything I wanted to run from. The past that I wear all over my body and that courses through my mind every time I close my eyes. I try my damnedest to hide from the monsters haunting my dreams. Yet every night the nightmares play on repeat. Some nights they win the battle, and I stay awake just so I don't have to look them in the eye. Truth be told, I just don't want to be left alone with the dark corners of my mind anymore.

The cold wind sends a chill up my spine as I walk down the street. It's always hot and sunny in Los Angeles, that's the only thing that I miss. I've been down here for about 3 months now. The warmer months are more in my comfort zone than this cold October day. Another gust of wind causes a leaf to skin across the sidewalk behind me. The noise makes me nearly jump out of my skin. I left out a sigh of relief that it wasn't someone coming to grab me. So far I haven't had any indications that I've been found, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Just then, the roar of motorcycle engines catch my ear. They're loud enough to be heard all through town, no matter where they are. Loud enough to be citation worthy, yet no one dares to say anything to the men on the motorcycles. Everyone is terrified to even look at them, including the town police, and myself. Luckily, they seem to stay to themselves. I don't even think any of them have come into the diner that I work at since I've been there. The thought of them is just a big mystery that I don't want to uncover any clue to any time soon.

As I keep walking, the big group of leather clad men on their screaming metal death traps go rolling by. I rolled my eyes at the cars that pulled over to get out of their way. I don't want to have a run in with them either, but that's a bit much. These guys already know that people fear them, and they don't care, it might give them an ego boost. Although, not everyone seems to shy away from these men. Every once in a while a woman will be on the back along for the ride with a few of them, but that doesn't happen very often. I wonder if they keep them locked up somewhere?

My blonde hair whips around in the wind as I keep moving down the street. The thunderous rumbling is starting to fade now. I glance over my shoulder again before I go into Duke's Diner. Without a college degree, and very little work experience, this was my only option. As I open the door, the smell of fries and cooked grease hits me in the face. The door closes behind me and I welcome the warmth of the small building. Black and red tile lines the entire floor. All of the red and black booths along the walls were full with customers eating or waiting for the food they ordered. Even some of the tables in the middle were full. Animated voices filled the air.

"Macilynn, sweetie, I am so glad you're here! Patricia called in, and it is swamped," Mrs. Jameson said as soon as I got closer to her.

"I'm hurrying, Mrs. Jameson." I say back to her as I make my way quickly to the employee room, to grab my apron and put up my jacket.

Little lockers line the far wall of the room for us to put our belongings while at work. I open mine, grab my apron and shove my jacket in it's place, then tie my hair up with the black scrunchy on my wrist. As I rush back out of the room, I tie my apron around my waist, and grab the order book and my favorite pen out of the pocket. With a smile at Mrs. Jameson, I walk over to a table that sat four teenage girls giggling amongst each other.

"Hey there, I'm your server, Macilynn. Is there anything I can get for you guys?" I say in my now mastered customer service voice, that is in fact a lot more cheerful than I normally am.

"Can we get 4 vanilla milkshakes, and an order of cheese fries to share?" The only brunette of the group asks pleasantly, to my surprise.

"Absolutely," I reply, and turn to take the order to Robert, who runs our kitchen.

The little bell chimes as the door opens again. Usually I don't pay much attention, since customers seat themselves, but for some strange reason, my entire body felt the urge to stop everything that I was doing just to pay attention to that door. Everyone in the diner stops talking, as I slowly turn around to see....