XXXVI. AWKWARD BONDING

Start from the beginning

"Have fun!" The mothers cried back from the kitchen, smirking at each other.

***

"So?" Remus began, as they started to leave the indoor mini golf place, hand in hand, "How did you like mini golf?"

Holland smiled, leaning into him, "I really enjoyed it," She said, "Even if you did have to spend the whole time helping me."

Remus laughed, "I'm pretty sure that you were faking being bad just to get closer to me."

"Sure, let's go with that," Holland nodded, making the pair chuckle, "It's a much better reason than the fact that I just suck at mini golf. Monopoly, however. Now that's my game."

Remus smiled, leaning down and giving the girl a quick kiss, making her giggle.

"May I just say," A voice said to them, making the pair turn around to see an old couple smile them, "We were behind you two on the course and I just had to tell you that you two make a wonderful couple." The woman said, making the sixteen-year-olds smile and blush.

"You two remind me of us when we were younger." The man told them, wrapping his arm around his partner.

"Thank you." Remus smiled.

"I have high hopes for you two," The woman added, as she and her partner started to walk away, "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas." Holland and Remus said back, before turning around and continuing their walk back to the Potter house, a wide smile on both of their faces.

"That was nice of them." Holland said, as Remus wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"Yeah," Remus agreed, nodding, before they walked in a comfortable silence for a minute or so, "How was your sleepover, by the way?"

Holland grinned, remembering her time with her friends, "Yeah, it was great. I dominated in the board games, got introduced to conquers - which I'm also brilliant at - and discovered that while she may not like James, Lily definitely does not hate him."

Remus laughed, "Progress."

"Indeed," Holland nodded, before licking her lips and looking up nervously at her boyfriend, "They know, by the way. About us."

Remus looked down at her and nodded, "Okay," He said, "I figured that would happen. You girls and all, can't not gossip." The boy joked, making Holland fake gasp and push him playfully, all the while, Remus was smiling down at her with love.

***

Sirius sat in the living room, staring into the fire. It was eleven o'clock at night, and everyone else had already gone to bed in anticipation for Christmas the following day.

"Looks like the tables have turned." An Irish voice from behind the shaggy-haired boy made him turn around.

"Oh, hey." He smiled awkwardly at Holland, before turning back to stare into the flames.

"What're you doing up?" The girl asked softly, sitting down warily on the other side of the sofa.

"Couldn't sleep," Sirius shrugged, "Came down here to think. You?"

"The same," Holland shrugged, sitting so that she was hugging her knees close to her chest, looking over at the boy, smiling as she noted how similar he actually was to her best friend, "He misses you, you know? Regulus." She told the oldest Black brother, who looked at her in slight shock and confusion.

"H-He does?"

"Yeah," The Slytherin nodded, "He doesn't say it, but he's my best friend. I know he does. Just like how I know that you miss him, too," She said, making Sirius look down, "You're quite similar, the two of you."

The Gryffindor chuckled slightly, "I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not."

"It's a good thing," Holland told him, "Trust me. You share the things I admire about him. Your loyalty to your friends and family, how people trust you so easily. You clearly had an impact on him."

Sirius smiled slightly, clearing his throat and playing with his hands, "Thanks."

"It's okay," Holland smiled softly, before standing up, "I should get to bed," She said, making her way to the stairs, before she turned around, "Merry Christmas, Sirius."

"Merry Christmas, Holland."