CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

At that Fred's grip tightened hastily around my waist and I froze a little myself. Last time he had asked me that, I had watched the man I loved die.

My family, my sister, all of them. Dead.

I released Fred's hold and stood, following Dumbledore silently out of the Wing, my knees shaking slightly. Out in the hallway stood Snape, waiting for us.

"Allison, I need you to confirm something to Severus for me, please."

I looked to Snape, and he already looked all levels of angry. "Professor?" I asked, turning back to Dumbledore. He smiled gently at me.

"In your Vision, of the battle and the war, did you happen to see me anywhere?" he asked, his voice level. I looked to and from both Professors before shaking my head slowly. Snape sighed at the notion and Dumbledore turned a sharp eye to him.

"See? It doesn't matter, Severus. This is how it needs to be," Dumbledore told him sternly. "Thank you, Miss White. Have a good night." And with that he walked off. Snape turned to leave as well but I grabbed his sleeve, stopping him.

He glared at the hand that was holding him in place and I quickly let him go, rubbing my hands up and down the front of my skirt. I looked around. The hallway was empty, but you could never be too sure. "Muffliato," I muttered, so anyone close by couldn't overhear the conversation.

"What's the job he's given him? Please... Please tell me that it has nothing to do with that" I whispered gesturing after Dumbledore, hoping it wasn't true. Snape's eyes went wide, looking at me in alarm. "I overheard you. Fox hearing, you know," I chuckled, trying to make the matter a little lighter. "It's because of me, isn't it?"

Snape stayed quiet for a while before he let out a heavy breath. "I believe - it's a mix of both. Also, let's call it an initiation task." I looked at him in horror, hoping he had told me that I had completely missed my mark.

"I need to see him," I croaked, my voice thick as tears were building up. Snape grabbed my elbow and pulled me to the side.

"You will do no such thing. You will continue on as if you know nothing, but still offering him the emotional support he needs. You will suck it up and not show him that you are scared, because that will cause him to fail. He cannot fail because you know what will happen. This last year, you have made many friends that are considered your weaknesses. And he is your biggest one. Do not let them see that you are his as well."

I was taken aback by his words. He had started of very harsh, but his voice softened at the end. I straightened my spine and gave a curt nod. Snape seemed satisfied that I was indeed deciding to 'suck it up' and then walked away, after giving me the inkling of a smile.

I had never hidden my hate for the man, so to see him offering me sane advice was startling. And suspicious.

I went back into the Hospital Wing and saw a familiar House Elf standing at the foot of Ron's bed.

At my entrance they all turned to look at me, including Dobby. His large eyes went even wider and then filled with tears as he watched me walk towards him. He then broke into a full-blown sob, falling to his knees on the mattress.

"Oh, Mistress Cassiopeia!" he wailed. I ran forwards and placed a hand over his mouth. "SSSH!" I shushed him, inclining my head to look for Madam Pomfrey in her office. She made no move to come out.

I moved my hand off him and grinned down at my oldest friend.

"Hello Dobby," I greeted him, making him break into new sobs as he hugged me around the waist. I petted his head lovingly as he wept, feeling a few tears threaten to come from my eyes as well. He was wearing a brilliant, red knitted jumper that looked like it had been shrunk. It even held an R on the front, telling me it was one of Ron's old Weasley jumpers. I hated the rags House Elves usually wore. Dobby looked much more comfortable now than he had back at Malfoy Manor.