THREE - MARK

"Good to see you!" Linda, Mark's mother smiled as she invited everyone inside. "Mark is just downstairs, let me go call him up." She disappeared for a few minutes before returning with Mark.

He flashed Allison a devilish smirk before his mother led everyone to the dining room. It was huge, a long table with a white tablecloth, next to each seat was old gold and white China, and in the center was a dazzling floral centerpiece. Gasps could be heard from around the room.

It was a bit much for a breakfast. At least that's what Allison thought. But her parents took a seat across from Linda and Mark's father whom she hadn't met yet. Alicia took a seat across from their housekeeper, leaving her to sit next to Mark. She sighed as she sat, and her mother subtly rolled her eyes in her direction.

I'd like you all to meet Bob, our wonderful chef!" Linda exclaimed as a tall and thin man walked into the dining room, carrying a few plates. He placed a few down in front of Allison, Mark, and Linda, and returned to the back to grab more dishes. Hot, steamy eggs and steak, as well as evenly cut potatoes, sprinkled with herbs.

Eventually everyone got their food, and took a few bites. It was amazing. One thing Allison loved about her rich life was the food. Both families erupted in conversation, other than Allison. Mark placed his hand onto her thigh, causing her to cough loudly, interrupting the conversations around the table.

"Sorry, um, I swallowed weird. Went down the wrong pipe, I-" Allison tried, but continued to embarrass herself further. She grabbed Mark's hand and removed it from her thigh, but he put it back and squeezed it.

"Please don't." She whispered and looked up to him, but he only squeezed harder.

"So, Mark! Tell everyone here about all of your accomplishments!" Linda clapped her hands in excitement as her son began to speak.

"Well, I won fencing tournaments several years in a row." He began, everyone other than Allison looking proudly in his direction. "I graduated from Princeton early on with the highest of honors."

"My son moved all the way to New York to do his schooling!" Linda gushed. "I'm so proud of him! Keep going Mark!"

"I also won every single golf tournament in Arizona this year." Mark beamed. He continued to list on his accomplishments, several different ones which seemed nearly impossible.

"My Allison has also accomplished so much! She graduated from University of Phoenix, we couldn't convince her to leave her family for three years, with a business degree! With honors as well! She also mastered the piano, winning several competitions around the state. I keep trying to convince her to expand her horizons, but she doesn't want to move so far away from her family." Her mother exaggerated. Allison had indeed went to university and graduated with honors, not just because her parents pressured her into it, but because she wanted to open up her own business one day. A coffee shop where every walk of life is welcome. She was also a great pianist, but not by choice.

"My Allison hasn't accomplished as much as your dear Mark, but I'm sure she will get there with him by her side. He's quite the achiever!" She finished, and Allison scowled.

Linda and Mark's father looked unimpressed. "To be quite frank, we hoped Allison would've accomplished much more than what you've said. We would like someone as highly accomplished as Mark to unite with him in wedlock." Mark's father spoke. "But seeing that your family has a grand reputation around this area, we will reconsider."

"Thank you." Father said. He never spoke much, he was a quiet businessman, always something new up his sleeve. "We appreciate your approval. I promise, Allison will accomplish much more with Mark at her side."

"I sure hope so." Linda croaked.

"How dare you embarrass me back there?!" Mother whisper-yelled in the car. Martin was driving and she didn't want to startle him. "You should've accomplished more in your lifetime! I wasn't aware Mark had accomplished so much! You should look up to someone like him." Mother scolded. "And don't you start with me."

Allison was about to open her mouth in protest, but she decided against it. She wouldn't win anyway. She wound never look up to someone as awful as Mark.

How could her parents love him so much? Because they were blinded by his charm. Mark was a great guy on the outside but so awful on the inside.

"I can't wait to marry you. Then I get half of the fortune!" Mark smirked. "I'm gonna use that to buy gifts for my girlfriends."

"Girlfriends?" Allison asked.

"What, you think I'm marrying you for you? Get this straight, no one will ever marry you for you. Unfortunately, you're just a pawn." He looked in the mirror, tightening his tie and slipping on the vest of his suit. "And once I get my hands on that fortune, I won't need you anymore."

"So what will you do with m-me?" Allison tried to hold in her tears. She was once attracted to Mark, but that was very short lived.

"Hmmm, maybe I'll go easy on you. You can be a housemaid, or better yet, I'll give you to my friends. They'll figure out what to do with you." He began circling around the confused girl. "It's a shame, you're such a beautiful young thing." He stared at her, like she was his prey.

"Mark!" A girl yelled. "Mark, where are you?"

He grabbed his wallet and stuffed it into his pocket before heading toward the door. "You tell anyone, you're dead." He sent a spine chilling glare in her direction before opening the door and interlocking lips with a nicely dressed girl.

"I'm so confused, Allison. How did you end up like this? Don't you enjoy the life I've made for you?" Mother covered her face in shame.  Her words pulled Allison out of her trance.

Allison shook her head. Inside her mind, she knew what she wanted to say, but she held it back. It's not that I don't like it, mom. I just want to make my own life. She's told her mother before, but she never understood.

After they had made it home, Allison rushed up to her room. Her phone was left on her bed, and it was full of notifications.

Chester: Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to sneak out and join me tonight.

She quickly typed up a reply and Chester told her he'd be there at ten. Once again, she had something to look forward to.