I made my way back to the slave quarters and found most of the girls were out and already working for the day. I headed towards the bathroom quickly and inspected myself in the large mirror. My face had blotches of red around my eyes and they looked puffy, an obvious sign that I had been crying. My neck looked shiny from the thin layer of cream that had been applied but there were clear red marks wrapped around my throat that looked suspiciously like hand prints. I sighed helplessly, knowing that the best I could do for now was to splash some cold water on my face to try and look refreshed but of course knowing that it wouldn't fool anybody.

It was then that I set about some tasks for the day as I had found a list of things to do posted on the wall beside the door that exited to the staircase. There were names beside the tasks and I found that today I was responsible for cleaning the living room that I had walked through the day before. I was grateful that I knew where it was as it was one of the few rooms I had seen so far.

I was just finishing fluffing the cushions on the sofa when I noticed the sun was disappearing behind the horizon through the window. I hadn't spoken to anybody for the whole afternoon, deciding to ignore anybody who walked through the room as I didn't want them to notice the marks.

''Aren't you going to have some dinner?'' Aiden's voice cut through my thoughts and made me jump. He was standing over me and I noticed that his eyes were following my movements.

''I didn't realise it was already this late.'' I replied truthfully and backed away from him.

''Oh well, I wondered if you'd like to eat with my family tonight?'' I was completely shocked at his words and knew that my mouth was hanging open in a very unattractive way as I was not expecting him to suggest such a thing.

''I-I-'' I stuttered, unable to form any coherent words.

He became distracted for a moment, his long fingers tentatively reaching out and caressing my neck. It took me a moment to realise he was checking out my swollen bruises, I could feel that had become more tender as I had worked.

''I thought it might be nice to give them a chance to get to know you since I know their actions last night hurt you and they really aren't how you perceive them to be.'' His eyes were pleading, his hand dropping back down to his side without a word about my injuries.

My heartbeat sped up as I thought of the implications of eating with the royals. Firstly, no slave was ever meant to have the honour of eating with them, we're merely servants who are usually ignored. Secondly, I was petrified of the High Royals! They're the most feared family in the world, and although I have gotten to know Aiden a bit more, I'm still not entirely comfortable about being under the watchful gaze of the rest of his family. And thirdly, what would the other slaves think of me? I already had Cami who hated me for being Aiden's slave so god knows how she would react when she saw me sitting with them for a formal dinner.

''Well, what do you say?'' Aiden's expression had returned to his usual smirk at my obvious panic.

''I don't know if it's the best idea.'' My voice sounded scared even to my own ears.

''Oh come on, Violet. We won't bite.''

I begged to differ.

''Aiden, don't you think it's a bit strange for a human slave to be attending a vampire dinner?'' I asked him, terrified that the events of last night would happen again tonight but to a worse extent since I'd be there for the entire time.

He groaned clearly annoyed, ''You're coming so that you can get to know my family better. You're my first slave and they're judging you on that and it's annoying me as well as hurting you so I want you to come!'' He sounded a bit whiny, but it was cute. Which I completely hated myself for admitting.