𝑏𝑒ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑎 𝑚𝑎𝑠𝑘

A/N: This story contains graphic content. If sensitive to blood, self-harm, or other messed up shi, please refrain from reading this book.

+

"𝗈𝗉𝗂𝗇𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝖻𝖺𝗌𝖾𝖽 𝗈𝗇 𝗉𝖾𝗋𝖼𝖾𝗉𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇. 𝗂𝖿 𝗐𝖾 𝗉𝖾𝗋𝖼𝖾𝗂𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗐𝗈𝗋𝗅𝖽 𝖺𝗋𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽 𝗎𝗌 𝖺𝗌 𝖻𝖺𝖽, 𝗌𝗈𝖼𝗂𝖾𝗍𝗒 𝗂𝗌 𝗃𝗎𝗌𝗍 𝖺 𝖻𝗎𝗇𝖼𝗁 𝗈𝖿 𝖻𝗎𝗅𝗅𝗌𝗁𝗂𝗍."

People assume the worst from villains.
And rightfully so.

I mean, why should innocent citizens be expected to sympathize with villains? Criminals who rather wreak havoc than take time to treat their mental illnesses? Convicts who find pleasure in murder and fear, and seeing the distraught faces of their victims?

Their reason to kill. Their reason to fear. Their reason to instill distrust in the world so not one damned person could walk the streets without worry.

No one asks a villain for their reasons. Because no one cares. No one stops to think about their upbringing, their background, the events and trauma that displaced them.

No one asks because they've already assumed. Assumed that villains were born with this wicked nature. Assumed that villains were cut from a different cloth. Assumed that villains could never experience the same human emotions because they've already sold their souls to the devil...

Bullshit.

Villains weren't born with a different nature. They weren't bred with a natural instinct to kill.

No.

Villains were made.

Arrogance, pride, resent. Society had to displace these negative emotions somewhere.

And what better way to validate their emotions than to create a group of the less fortunate?

A group ripe for exploitation and discrimination. A group that could harbor the utter bullshit society tried so desperately to conceal.

At least...that's what most define themselves as.

Me, however, I see villains as realists. People who actually try and balance the fucking hierarchy this world uses. People who bring equality and justice by bringing down those with corrupted power.

You may be wondering who the fuck is this girl, and why she's trying to sound philosophical or conceptual right now.

Well, allow my to introduce myself.

My name is Akame Saito.

And I'll bring justice to this world...

By ending heroes.

~ three years later ~

[eighteen years old]

"I don't like to repeat myself," I spat, impatiently tapping my foot on the murky asphalt. "Either you give me your quirks, voluntarily, or, you refuse and get killed." A cold-blooded smirk taunted my lips.