01 | shibuya

TEN YEARS AFTER
10 . 31 . 2018
Shibuya, Tokyo.

          SHIBUYA IS A CITY-TURNED-GRAVEYARD, silence only broken by moans of the cursed and cries of battle

          SHIBUYA IS A CITY-TURNED-GRAVEYARD, silence only broken by moans of the cursed and cries of battle. The air reeks of blood and rot, but Sumire barely registers any of it. There's only one thing on her mind— her baby, her son, her Megumi was in danger and the blood rushing in her ears made focusing on anything else impossible. She wasn't going to lose him too— not after she failed to protect Tsumiki.

          Sumire stops in her tracks. There's no way she'd find him by sight alone.

          "Moro!" Sumire screams, the curse-imbued words echoing across the empty rooftops she leapt across. A snow-white wolf the size of a small car appears next to her in an instant, it's blazing red eyes awaiting a command. "Find Megumi Fushiguro!"

          In a split second, Sumire stands in front of an alleyway and her blood runs ice-cold— then boils in rage once more. There's blood pooling around Megumi's stomach, the end of a weapon pointed at his neck—  and she's rushing forward without a second thought. She was going to rip the head off of whoever threatened him, she was going to burn their body and make sure their ashes never see the light of day again.

          "Protect Megumi!" The command rips from Sumire's throat as she flings herself off of Moro's back, sliding to a stop between Megumi and his attacker.

          But when she looks up, katana drawn, she feels her whole body freeze.

          In front of her stood the first and last man she had ever loved— the one who promised to burn away the world for her, who promised to start a life with her, who promised and promised and promised until the day he died by Gojo Satoru's hand.

          Sumire exhales into a noise of utter confusion, feeling lightheaded.

          "Oh, hey Sumi," Toji rubbed the back of his neck in a gesture all too familiar to her. His signature tell, she'd come to know it as, that meant his next sentence was about to be pure bullshit. He smiles like the moon and she wants to kiss him and punch him at the same time. He takes a step forward, "Did'ya miss me?"

          It's him, her heart cries, begging for her to surge forward and embrace him— but every other cell in her body tells her that something is off.

          After all, she saw his body be cremated. Confirmed with her own eyes that Fushiguro Toji had died all those years ago.

          "How?" Sumire signs, fingers shaking violently around the words she struggles to form, "You died. I saw your corpse."

          Toji shrugs, pointedly turning away from the shock on Sumire's face. There's a complicated emotion hidden in his eyes— something soft and mournful— but she can't quite decipher it, not when Toji refuses to meet her gaze.

          Suddenly, there's a hand on Sumire's shoulder— it's Megumi, who looks confused but firm all the same.

          Toji smiles at that, and Sumire noticed with mounting horror that his sclera were turning black. Was this part of some Cursed Art? "Hey brat. What's your name?"

          Megumi pauses, confused. "Fushiguro Megumi...?"

          "Not Zenin, huh. Good to hear." It happens in slow motion— he raises the blade in his hand, cocked to point at his temple, as his eyes flicker between black and white. A pit opens up in Sumire's stomach, a gaping thing that threatened to swallow her whole. He was going to die again, oh god, he was going to die and she was going to be left to carry all those words that died on her tongue—

          "I'll see ya soon, Sumi." He says at the same time that Sumire's bloody throat cries:

          "Moro, stop him!"

NOTE!
i have a vague idea about what this fic is going to be— and a vague idea about the ending. hopefully that'll be enough to carry me through it lol.