Chapter 9: The Night City!

"... You cant be freaking serious?! Just move out of the god damn way!"
"I told ya, this bridge has a toll of 300 PokeDollars. Pay or turn away."
It was morning in East Gearen. And I was arguing with a man who blocked access to the north western part of the city, claiming there was a toll or something when there was clearly not a booth for the same.
Sigh. Why do I always get the crazy ones?
"Alright, so you're not gonna move unless I pay you?" I asked him.
"Nope," he replied.
 "Fine, I challenge you to a match, if I win, you're gonna turn around and run away, deal?"
"Heh, I know what the trainers are like. You're not the first to challenge me you know. It's a deal." he smirked. Something told me he had beaten up loads of trainers.

"Well, let's start!" I said.

We squared up, and he sent out his first pokemon, a Torchic, and I sent out Royal. 
"A Steel-type against a Fire-type? Kid, you need to learn your type match-ups." the man smirked. "Aight Torchic use Flame Charge!" he ordered.
It sped at Royal while it was cloaked in flames. But I wasnt gonna let it hit the attack.
"Royal! Quick, go into the shadows!" 
Torchic sped past Royal's shadow where he had hidden himself and bonked its head on the railing overlooking the sea. It stumbled around, confused. 
"Now's your chance Royal! Swords Dance and Shadow Sneak!" I said. 
Before the Torchic could pull itself together, Royal sneaked under it in the shadows and hit it. 
It keeled over and fainted. 
"There, I won. So as in the deal, you're gonna turn around and walk away, and stop harassing everyone who walks through here." I glared at him.
"Man, I thought these kids were a pushover, but with you running around, it's going to be tough to- Aieeeeee!" he ran away. 
Sigh... welp, let's get to the train station then.

Sometime later...

"I'm sorry, but Melia Jennerson hasn't come by today. Infact, even if she had, the trains arent running today because of a power failure, so there's no way to travel to Goldenwood Forest for today," the station guard said.
"Alright thanks," I said.
Great just freaking great. Ugh.
Why can't things ever be easy for me once?

You know what, I don't care. Time to take a look around the city. 
There were many trainers around the city who were battling. I participated into quite a few battles myself.

On my way to the Eastern Part of the city, a girl stopped me.
"Only people who may have proven themselves cool may pass." she said.
"That means you want to battle." I said, translating drily.
"Yep!"
"Well I am always happy for a battle!"
The battle itself was difficult, she insisted on a double battle format and I sent out Snek and Shello. She used a Clefairy and Carbink and the Carbink used Light Screen continuosly making my Pokemon deal very little damage meanwhile the Clefairy healed all the damage with soft boiled. I won in the end but damn, was that battle was difficult. Also Shello and Snek evolved into a Wartotle and Servine. 
I thanked her for the battle and headed off.

I passed by the Berry Emporium and decided to get some Pecha Berries because I figured they might come in use against the Gearen Gym Leader since she uses Poison types. 
I also passed the Parks and Rec Center.

Hmm, I have covered around half the city and still no sign of the gym.
But I stopped as soon as I turned the next corner. Because the Gym was there, in front of me, covered in shades of purple. 
"Speak of the devil? More like speak of the Gym, and it appears," I mused. 
"Well let's go in and have a look around, maybe I'll find Ren too, who knows?"

But it seems that things weren't supposed to be that easy for me, the guard at the door said that Venam, the gym leader was out. 
"I don't even know where has that girl gone, why do they let kids be Gym Leaders these days..." the guard informed me.
"Oh..." I was so god damn mad right now. Of course, she would be out that exactly this right moment, of course the trains wouldn't be running today, of course I can't find Ren anywhere. Argh.