16. I'm Yours - ✭ Monica ✭

Start from the beginning

That's not enough time with Boston...

"Monica?"

"Hmm?"

"You do understand what I'm trying to tell you, right?" His voice is oddly smooth, almost too composed. There's something about it that's throwing me off.

"You're telling me that I need to be back at school after next week?"

"Preferably as soon as possible." His voice is even tighter, on the brink of something. "I would like you back at school before the weekend is over. You hardly know this friend of yours."

Why is he saying that like he knows who I am with?

"Monica?"

"Yeah, Dad?"

"Who is the friend that you're with?" Oh no, I know that voice.

"Uhm..."

"Monica, are you in Memphis with a random guy right now?" My blood runs absolutely cold. I don't answer him. I just stare off into space feeling the dread that's an inevitably going to wash over me any second. "And this friend, the one that you just met, thinks it's okay to kiss you?"

Oh, there it is. The dread. All over me.

"Dad, it's not what you think. He's really great and he—"

"Where are you and this guy staying?" I can practically see the wheels turning in his head at this very moment and it's making anxiety flow all throughout me. "He's a tattoo artist from Vegas? For fuck's sake, Monica."

Where is he finding all of this out? Oh my God. Oh myyyyy Godddd.

"Let me get this straight. You left your dream school to go on some random road trip with this... this guy? What happened to Carter?" My dad can't stand Carter.

"Dad, he's a good guy. He is honestly great. When you meet him—"

"Wait, you want me to meet this guy?" I can feel his tension as if it were my own. "You like him enough that you want me to meet him?"

I mull that over for a moment and answer honestly, "yeah. I think I do. He treats me well and he takes care of me. You don't—"

"What do you mean he 'takes care of you'? What the fuck is that supposed to mean? You just met the fucking guy, Monica."

If he only knew the ways he's taken care of me. I cringe thinking he might be thinking that exact thought. My father is no dummy.

"Yeah, Dad, I know I just met him but he's great." He barks out an incredulous laugh. "Dad, I'm serious he's—"

"Pulled you out of school and travelled states away with you to just plant his lips on you? Monica, this guy just wants one thing from you. You do realize that, right? You just met him and he already has his hands all over you. I mean, Jesus, I thought I raised you better than that?" The tears immediately prick my eyes at his words.

"Dad—"

"No, Monica, I'm seriously disappointed in you. I raised you better than that. I raised you to value yourself and to value your future. Throwing your life away, your future, for some random guy is below you. It is way below you. And you know it."

"But Dad—"

"You have until next week to get back to school and salvage whatever self-respect you have for yourself, Monica. I sincerely hope you do that." He hangs up on me and I feel my heart practically shatter.