PILOT CHAPTER 'Out'

vast

vast

/vast/

adjective

- of very great extent or quantity; immense.

_________________________________________________

_______  reader POV  _______

It's so quiet here.

Almost peaceful, really. At least it is when you're used to it. I've been taking in every detail, every crack and stain on these walls for the past few hours. Memorizing the rough sensation that's left on my fingers when I brush them against the eroding, rusty metal of my cage.
The only sound here is that made by the ropes and chains. Simple machines that are operated around the area, such as the pulleys that haul around the fabric-wrapped bodies of other children.

Everything is colored gray, for the most part. Sometimes I forget the color of my own e/c eyes.

As of now, I'm bound in a room, a prison. Tall and dimly lit, in this room I'm kept with maybe 5 or 6 other children, all locked in small cages like the animals we are apparently thought to be.

My eyes feel so heavy, not even the bold, bright yellow of the raincoat one kid was wearing could keep me from nodding off. I can barely fight the exhaustion, nagging at me from all the sleepless nights I spent sneaking around, trying nothing more than to ensure so much as my own survival. I'm almost relieved. Despite the fact that death-by-arms awaits just in the next room, sleep sounds incredibly nice.

It only felt like a few seconds, only a moments worth of rest for my eyes but I'm jolted awake by the disruptive drag of metal on metal. The long, eldritch arm of my captor drifting into the room and gripping the bars of a cage on the floor. One withholding what I assumed was a young boy, dressed in a navy blue shirt and pants with a broken shackle to his ankle.
The mop-headed boy looked soaked to the bone, and I couldn't help but feel dread tickling at my back as he stayed in his fetal sitting position. Peeking up at me once as he was taken away.

_______  2nd person POV

Your heart suddenly begins pounding against your chest, your mind finally processing death. Death is permanent. Life isn't something you can simply take back, and frankly, you no longer feel like giving yours away.

Over 7 trillion nerves in your body, and as if you weren't nervous enough now, the abrupt action of the girl in the yellow raincoat throwing herself at the side of her cage makes you feel as though all of them are on fire.
A small gasp escapes your lips, and you scurry to your feet. Wobbling for a moment to gain control over your skinny legs as you rush to the edge of your own cage. "Hey! Hey!" you call out as quietly as you can, gaining the girls attention as she flicks on a small lighter. Holding it up to see your face.

"H-Help me out! Please? I-I'm y/n! I swear I'll help!" you sputter out, desperate to convince her to help you.
For a moment, she simply stares at you, but relief washes over your body like a wave when you see her shoulders rise and fall with an inaudible sigh of defeat.

You squeak slightly when she slams herself against your cage, toppling it over and throwing you out of it as it collides with the floor, sending you sliding a foot further on your back. Nearly winded, you get up. Coughing a bit before dusting off your dust loaded clothes. "Thank you!" you whisper, and all she does is nod before beginning to push yet another cage.

Watching in confusion as she climbs atop the cage, she turns. Beckoning you over and it clicks in your mind of her plan. Once your feet are planted on the cage, each of you jump to take hold of the pull-chain style handle in the room, swinging back and forth as the metal door raised before flinging yourselves off and into the next room. Your stomach knotting as the bottom of the door brushes the top of your head as you just barely manage to slide through.

You sigh in relief, only to be hushed by the young girl you were accompanying. You raise a brow, and she points towards a more open area of the room, your ears finally picking up the sound of shifting and the unnerving popping of the janitor stopping to work the kinks out of his neck.

Your heart jumps to your throat, and you're starting to see a pattern in your own behavior that you don't exactly favor. You wish that you'd think things through more before diving head first into a situation, but, hell.

It's too late to go back now.

___________________________________________________

word count : 798

^^A/N
this is a short pilot chapter that I wrote around 7:30am just to get it going. I know that there was only one interaction between Seven and yall, but ill get chapter 1 started when i wake up.

Next: Chapter 1 'Farewell'