New Year, New Life

Magsimula sa umpisa

Zoha helped me into the backseat of Talha Bhai's car, and got in beside me. Bhai drove us to the hospital, as Zoha made the phone calls. 

"You've called Mama, right?" I asked.

"Of course. I literally just called her in front of you." 

"The pain is blocking all my senses." I groaned, leaning my head against her shoulder as she kept her arm around me. "Khalla needs your prayers, baby angel." I whispered to my nephew or niece.

I closed my eyes, and to keep my mind away from the pain, I remembered the day Zoha and Talha Bhai had announced Zoha's pregnancy.

****

We got both sets of our parents on a video call, while Zain and I sat with the couple in the living room.

"Zoha's pregnant, Ma Sha Allah and Alhumdulillah." Talha Bhai said, holding his wife's hand, as she blushed uncontrollably.

Although I already knew, and Zain more or less knew as well, when they announced it, we both were overexcited.

Zain jumped up and rushed to his brother, pulling him in for a hug. "Yes! That's brilliant news! Ma Sha Allah! Congratulations!" 

I hugged Zoha as well, because I was so, so excited about becoming a Khalla. But, most importantly, Zoha deserved this happiness. She'd seriously yearned for it, and had faced a lot because of this subject, but now she'd found her true happiness with Talha Bhai, Alhumdulillah.

"I'm warning you now," Zain said to the couple. "Tara and I will pamper the hell out of the kid, In Sha Allah."

"No doubt." I agreed.

Meanwhile, our mothers were crying with happiness, but sets of parents completely overjoyed by the news.

"Two grandchildren, Alhumdulillah!" Mum had said. "May Allah keep all our children- and grandchildren- safe, and protected from all evil eye and harm. Ameen." 

"Prepare to do your duties as Khalla, Misha." I told our youngest sister, who was also on the call. "Staying up nights, nappy changes, etc, etc."

"You wish." Misha had rolled her eyes, but her happiness and excitement was also obvious on her face.

It had been such an amazing, exciting day for the whole family, and I knew that every time I thought about it in the future, I would smile. 

May Allah bless our whole family with good health and happiness. Ameen.

****

Back in the present, the ride to the hospital seemed endless.

"Zoha..." I held her hand and squeezed it. 

"It's okay, Tara, we're almost there." She whispered repeatedly, in a reassuring tone.

The maternity ward at the hospital had a separate entrance, so Bhai pulled up in front of it. "Zoha, would you mind getting a nurse or someone to come and help her out? I'll go and park after that."

Zoha nodded and got it. My hand felt colder instantly and I missed her comfort. The chilly winter air blew in briefly through the open car door, making me shiver. 

It felt like ages before Zoha returned with a nurse, who was pushing a wheelchair. The two struggled to get me out and onto the wheelchair, as I cried out in pain again.

"It's okay, lovely, you'll be fine." The nurse, a woman around Mama's age, said in a gentle tone. "Do you have the details of your doctor and/or midwife?"