Chapter Nine

Beginne am Anfang

''Anything interest you?'' Aiden asked, having supposedly already chosen and was now fiddling with the napkins on the table in front of him. He wasn't looking at me, I couldn't feel his heated gaze.

''Erm... I think just a chicken burger, please.'' I answered him, folding up the menu and sliding it away from me. I hoped to God that the chicken burger didn't come with a side of the red stuff, unless it was ketchup.

''What about a drink?'' He looked up at me and I found myself suddenly struck by how good looking he was. His hair was perfectly messy and his eyes the same striking blue as earlier, any traces of anger gone. His plain black t-shirt still clung to his very noticeable muscles and I had to tear my eyes away before he noticed.

''Coke?'' I was unsure as I hadn't seen it on the menu but he only nodded and we waited for the waitress to return, which she did as soon as Aiden's attention seemed to shift from me, and he recited our order to her. She listened intently, seemingly taking very detailed notes with her attention on Aiden's every word.

After she left, we sat in an awkward silence and I found myself watching the people around us to avoid making eye contact with my Master again. They seemed to have returned to their own conversations and meals with only the occasional curious or star struck glance in our direction. I guessed that if any of them wanted an autograph or chat with the Prince, they were too intimidated to do so. I was particularly thankful for that.

Aiden broke the silence, ''Violet, you can't ignore me forever.''

''I'm not.'' I answered simply, internally surprised that he was noticing my behaviour.

''Yes, you are.'' He stopped fiddling with the napkin and focused his full attention on me. I fidgeted under his glare, ''It's because of my parents last night isn't it? Josh said you looked upset.''

''No, I was expecting your family to hate me. I'm a slave.'' I stated truthfully.

''They don't hate you.'' He looked frustrated as he ran his hand through his hair and leaned back in his chair. He let out a breath of air, grasping his powerful hands together and casting a glance around the room once more.

''Well, from what they said it doesn't sound like they like me. Look, I don't care anyway.'' I was beginning to get infuriated myself. It's not like he cared, I'm his slave, not his friend so there's no reason why he should even be asking about my happiness.

''Fine, whatever. But you need to speak to me, I'm not gonna put up with your silence, even if you are my slave.''

I nodded, having no choice but to agree with him as I didn't want him to start punishing me if I continued to annoy him. His temper earlier had startled me.

''My parents were worried,'' He started to speak again, capturing my complete attention, ''I've been gone for a while and didn't tell them where I was and with the rebels around they think I'm not safe. I guess they were just surprised that I had suddenly come back and had you in tow.''

''What, they think I'm some kind of spy?'' I questioned.

''No, it's just unusual of me to do this sort of thing. They're on edge and I guess they took it out on you.'' He said honestly and I felt as if I should believe him. But that didn't mean I had entirely forgiven him for not defending me.

I don't even know why I expected him to care, he's the prince and I'm his slave, nobody special. It was silly of me really.

Just then, our drinks arrived along with my burger. Aiden had only ordered a bottle of blood which I avoided looking at before I became dizzy again. He began sipping at his drink as I tucked into my burger, realising I was starving and desperately in need of the greasy goodness.