Emergency Breakfast

*(Y/n) POV*

I woke up in my bed. I didn't know how I got there. Light was pouring in through the gaps in the curtains, lighting the room enough to see by. I closed my eyes, I didn't want to get out of bed. It hurt to think, to breath, to move. It was like I was already dead. I forced my eyes open, but began to see my mother there, standing before me as when I was a little girl, before the accident. I could almost smell the pancakes she would make for me on days I didn't feel good. It felt too real. I closed my eyes not wanting to remember.  I then sniffed again, I definitely smelt pancakes though. Not only that... there was a faint small of something burning. I then heard a crash and curse from the kitchen. Reality came back to me if only for a moment. Zack!

I raced into the kitchen to find, my toaster in a sink full of water, sparking. Zack was standing over the mess looking pissed off. "What happened?" I asked. "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I DON'T KN-" he said as he turned around, his eyes met mine. "Oh, your up" I nodded, my eyes traveling back to the mess, my eyes questioning. He followed my eyes. "Oh well you see, you were kinda in a slump the other day." Kinda? You thought. "So I decided to try and make you breakfast, I had seen you make these frozen waffles before, by putting it in this thing. But I left it in too long and it started a fire, but don't worry I put it out." He said gesturing to the sink. I looked at the toaster. I remembered the times I would be running late to school, my mom would make toast for me to have on the way, that very toaster was lying destroyed in a sink. I didn't think a fucking TOASTER would make me miss her, but it did. My eyes began to well up with tears. "Shit!" I heard Zack say. I looked at to meet his eyes. "Why are you crying? What wrong? Was it something I said? Something I did? Fuck! I knew I would mess up somehow!" He said his hands getting tangled in his hair. For that one moment I forgot about the pain that had been swelling in my heart. Something about Zack's concern for me, made me calm. He was like sun a rainy day, helping to form a rainbow. Beautiful, peaceful, innocent. I started to cry harder. "Dammit, what's wrong!?" He exclaimed. I didn't say anything, I just wrapped my arms around his waist, and tucked my head into his chest as I continued to cry. He tensed at first, then softened, slowly wrapping his arms around me delicately. As if any small touch could shatter me. As if there was anything left to shatter. I hoped the universe didn't take that thought as a challenge. I wanted that moment to last forever.

*Zack's POV*

She had wrapped her arms around me so suddenly. She was crying, I was sure I had done something wrong. Seeing those tears again so soon after last night hurt even more than seeing them the first time, knowing I probably caused them. I desperately wished I could stop her tears. But I didn't know what to do. I wrapped my arms around her anyway. She was so small in my arms, her head barely reaching my collar bone. I lifted her face to look into my eyes, and gently wiped the tears from her eyes. "Shh, hey stop crying." I whispered in as soothing of a voice as I could muster. "I know I kinda fucked up breakfast," I said with a little laugh. She laughed too, wiping away the last of the tears. Seeing her smile, filled a light in me, and I let out a breath I hadn't know I had been holding. Like a weight suddenly dropped off my shoulder. "So," I continued, "How about we go out to eat?" I offered. She nodded her head. I smiled. "Good then, go get dressed, and I'll go grab you shoes and coat, okay?" She nodded. And within a couple minutes we were out the door.