The Amazing Mary Jane

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Many thanks to jettmanas, who kindly created original art for this story.

All characters and concepts are owned by Marvel. This story is written for entertainment purposes, with no copyright infringement intended.

I am the Watcher, a member of an ancient race whose mission is to observe and record events that transpire across the multiverse

I am the Watcher, a member of an ancient race whose mission is to observe and record events that transpire across the multiverse. One such event I have recently observed concerns the young humans Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. As some of you may be aware, on the majority of the parallel Earths that I and my brothers and sisters have monitored, Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider and inherited the creature's amazing powers. Thus, he became the Amazing Spider-Man!

But on some worlds, someone other than Parker got bitten by that ill-fated arachnid, such as Flash Thompson, Gwen Stacy and Peter's own Uncle Ben. But in the case of this tale, we ask the question...

WHAT IF... MARY JANE WATSON WAS BITTEN BY THE RADIOACTIVE SPIDER?

The story that answers that question begins at Midtown High School. In this world, fourteen year old Mary Jane Watson had already moved to live with her Aunt Anna and enrolled to study acting at Midtown High School. As such, her first meeting with Peter Parker took place much sooner than it would have done on most other worlds. At first, Mary Jane thought the nephew of her next door neighbours a bit too nerdy, but as the two became better acquainted, she found they had a lot in common, as they both in their own ways felt lonely and isolated, and so they quite quickly became friends, with just a hint of something deeper waiting to develop between them. Then one fateful day, they and their classmates found themselves attending a science class trip to see some new experimentation in radioactivity...

******

"And now for a demonstration of how we can control radioactive rays here in the laboratory," said Dr Eric Schwinner as he showed the visiting students a device capable of producing intense radioactive blasts.

Flash Thompson yawned. "So it makes some cool light shows. Big deal! When are we going to see something exciting on this lame trip?"

"Ssh!" said Peter Parker in annoyance. "This is really fascinating stuff here!"

Mary Jane Watson could not help but feel a little anxious about the whole experiment. "Um, pardon me doc, but are you sure that thing is safe to use in here? Only my aunt wouldn't like it if I suddenly turn all green and sprout a tail from those x-rays of yours!"

Schwinner suppressed a chuckle. "No need to be concerned, young lady. Every precaution has been taken. There's absolutely nothing to worry about."

Schwinner had no idea just how wrong he would be proven to be, even as he set the machine into operation. Within seconds, the two futuristic-looking cannons facing one another came to life and an intense beam of red light flashed between them. The beam was so bright that everyone in the room had to squint, and so no-one noticed that a small spider had descended from the ceiling on a small stand of web and got caught in the middle of the beam, inadvertently getting the full force of the radioactive blast! Startled, the dying creature dropped down from its web and landed on the hand of the nearest student, whereupon it bit said-hand in its death throes!