Chapter 1 - The Devil in The Red Devil Bar

Beginne am Anfang

I opened it and the ground beneath my feet evaporated. A dull ache settled in my heart.

The photo was of Fred with Emily in a sheet covering their bodies. Well, bare bodies if you zoom in the picture and follow the curves in the sheet. They were indeed bare.

Tears came out of the corners of my eyes but I bit my tongue. I would not cry because my mascara wasn't waterproof. Also, I had done a good job at doing my deep blue eyeshadow that matched my dress. I didn't want to smudge those because of some dirt heads. 

My lips quivered. Cold sweat covered my hands as the first drop of tears spilt out. I sniffed.

They betrayed me...

Wow! How could my friend do that to me? Was that why Fred was avoiding me?

I called Emily and on a third ring, she picked up.

"What the fudging hell was that?" I growled as I tried to hold back my quivering voice.

"Carson! I—I am sorry. Please try to understand. I wanted to tell you but..." It was Fred who replied with a voice that portrayed guilt. Well, I would have given him an Oscar if I had the money to buy it as he tried his best to feign guilt.

"So, because I could not give you enough time, you cheated?" I asked, my voice getting low and breathy. Now it was almost hard to hold the sniffs that were threatening to come out.

"No! That wasn't it. It was my fault. You were an excellent girlfriend but," he sighed, "I am sorry."

I nodded as if he was seeing me nodding. Then I cut the call as my tears ran down on my nude foundation, creating a translucent path on it. 

I bought expensive products just for Fred, so he could see my beauty. I even watched youtube videos all night after work. How could he do this to me? I sniffed more and I was sure I looked like an idiot standing near the club crying as if I wanted a lollipop. Well, lollipop aside, I did want Fred. 

We had been in a relationship for two years and I had told my parents, my cousins, my teachers. Well, practically everyone in my hometown. I even told the security guard of our office that we were going to get married!

I sniffed some more as a few pedestrians gave me weird looks while crossing me. 

He didn't waste a time to shatter my future with him. Did he?

A dry chuckle left from my mouth as my heart ached with a dull pain. So, he never loved me. Two years of dating could not make him love me.

I looked at the nightclub, it was dazzling with golden lights and its tall tower touched the dark sky. I wanted to enter the night club but as I said, today was the worst because the VIP pass was with Emily. She always had passes of clubs, night clubs and I didn't know why. I never asked.

I spun on my heels and started to walk on the street endlessly. I didn't want to go home. It would only remind me of Fred. We had spent time together there. I remembered when he made breakfast for me. He used to make Spanish sandwiches. My mind reminded me of him, his perfect smile, his electric blue eyes and the way he used to kiss me. More tears spilt out.

I wiped my tears as the back of my hand got a nasty stain of mascara. Well, it wasn't waterproof to begin with. My eyes would be looking like a panda. 

Who cared...

I want to have some drinks and probably a boyfriend! A boyfriend who would care for me.

After walking for ten minutes, my feet ached. However, when I moved my eyes around, the place didn't appear to be familiar. 

The lane was almost dark as if a mist of darkness had wrapped it. But a red neon sign glimpsed from a distance.