"I heard something and started running, then I saw the empty tree and I hid in it. The scary lady showed up later."

I hummed. She must have sleepwalked. I straightened up and turned away but just as I was about to leave, I felt a tug on my robe. The girl held the hem of my robe in her fist, large eyes peering up at me.

"Won't you help me get home?", she asked.
I cocked an eyebrow. Help her? She's lucky I hadn't killed her.

"Please? I can't find it by myself", she whispered.

I contemplated it, observing her. The nightclothes she wore weren't coarse and worn out. She must be have been from a wealthy household.

Now, as much as I didn't care, if she was from a court official's household, the last thing I needed was a bitter official who wanted my neck. That kind of stuff was so annoying.

I sighed and picked her up, settling her on one arm. She clutched my robe in her fist and made herself comfortable with her head on my shoulder. Her neck was right there. I could easily sink my teeth in.

"Mister?" I turned to meet her gaze. Children always tasted good. Too bad I'd already fed. I wasn't in a mood to massacre.

"How does your house look like, child?" I asked. She blinked, thinking.

"Um...it has a wall around it."

I stared blankly at her. "You just described 90 percent of the houses here."

"Oh."

I sighed. "Is there anything else? What's the first thing you see when you see your house?"

"Mmm...ah! There are pretty purple flowers on the wall. And two- no, three big pots too! And the gate has a broken...a broken- part of it is broken", she described, beaming when she was finished. I shook my head. What a weird kid.

"Okay then", I said before heading out towards the streets.

              ----------------------------------------
Finding the child's house was hard for her. She kept messing up and with every wrong house she would become more and more upset. With every "No, this isn't it" she had to say, she would deflate even more. To the point where she buried her face in my chest, tracing the embroidery on my robe forlornly with her finger.

It was extremely amusing, but I eventually decided it was time to put her out of her misery. I had actually spotted her home long before, but I was bored so I walked in the opposite direction.

I nudged her when I stopped in front of her house, making her lift her head. She saw it then instantly lit up.

"This is it! My house! Thank you!", she squealed, then suddenly hugged my neck.
The skin of her neck was literally shoved under my neck and the jostling made me inhale accidentally.

Her blood... with how excited she was her blood was pumping and I could smell it. I knew this kind of blood.

Aged blood.

It was basically like wine. The older the human got, the more savoury it would become. It would be delicious when she was in her late teens. My fangs ached at the thought of the mere taste.

Luckily for me -and probably her- she leaned back, giving me space to breathe. She frowned and reached for my face, wiping off the black blood on my cheek.

"Yuck", she scowled, wrinkling her nose. She looked at her dirty hand, at my robe then shrugged and wiped the filth on her white nightclothes. I grimaced.

Finding her room wasn't difficult- I just had to trace her scent to find her bed. The door was open slightly and a maid was sprawled on a bed in the outer room, probably to watch over the child.