xvii. | old scars

Start from the beginning

"Are you kidding me? Mom seriously thinks you two are already dating now since you guys hang out so much," Kyril laughed and Salene scoffed.

She knows her mom. Her mother wouldn't let her hang out with Peter at his house if she suspected a relationship. Her father wouldn't let her look at Peter if he thought there was a relationship. Still, her emotions exposed her with a blush on her cheeks as the thought of Peter being her boyfriend flooded her brain.

Why not ask him to this homecoming? Lucifer asked and Salene rolled her eyes.

I'm gonna ignore that now, she responded to him, watching the buildings go by as Kyril left Queens.

────── 〔ψ〕──────

IT TOOK THIRTY MINUTES for Kyril to stop freaking out about being back in Manhattan. Salene had taken the same amount of time, realizing that saying that she could go back to that place and not the time is harder when you're there and there's the avengers building and the statue for the first responders that died in the attack. And Salenes back on the street where she almost got murdered by an alien. If there was more rubble, Salene would've felt like she went back in time to that day.

When ten-year-old Salene got swept away by a group of people and then abandoned by them. When Black Widow saved her life and pushed her into a cafe and left to kill more aliens. All the while her family was seconds away from being turned to ash by a chitauri bomb among relics.

Salene had to be shaken to be pulled back to the present. She looked to Kyril whose face was riddled with concern.

"Neither of us was prepared," he spoke as softly as he could on a New York street, "we can go if-"

"No, we need to find something nice for the twins and the dance, mom will strangle me if I don't come home with a dress," Salene sighed and looked around.

The two started walking. They stepped into some stores, looking around to see if anything stood out for either a dress or a good enough present for Alessandro. It was hard when Salene wanted the best for her siblings and nothing seemed good enough.

Kyril was the one to find the perfect dress for homecoming, the second Salene laid eyes on it she knew that it was the one. It was all white with a strapless semi-sweetheart neckline. From the looks of it on the hanger, it seemed to be a body-con with a flowy look at the bottom. Salene had a pair of shoes at home that would go perfectly with it. She was happy to find out that it fit and it wasn't even as expensive as it looked.

Though walking around Manhattan with a dress seemed like a hassle and Kyril didn't trust the people of New York enough to leave it in the back seat so they were stuck with window shopping with a dress. Eventually, Salene figured out her presents for the twins. After finding the vinyl record for Dina, she got empty cassettes and CDs for the recording station she has in her apartment with Alessandro. And for Alessandro, Salene noticed her brother always holding a cup of coffee and knew that he probably spent most of his money on coffee. She knew buying him a coffee maker would be the best move for the main part of her gift but she still wanted to get him some nice shirts that she saw in the stores they passed by.

It was almost six o'clock and Salene could not only hear her stomach, but she could also hear Kyrils as well. It was when they growled at the same time and the same volume that the siblings looked at each other, biting back laughs at the synchronized noises. They eventually stopped at a restaurant and let their parents know of the new dinner plans.