Chapter 4 - Preventing Worse

Start from the beginning

"Might be too late for that," he said loudly. Katta narrowed her eyes as she listened to his background noises. The low rattling. He was in a plane of sorts.

"Why didn't you tell me about your past?" he asked. Katta breathed in deeply.

"Because you had no right to know, Barton. Hell," she cursed. "This is not going to end well, and you know it."

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry, Katta." The phone clicked, signalling that he had ended the call.

〰〰〰

The Avengers sat in the Quinjet on their way to London. Vision and Wanda had volunteered to stay at the tower, and T'Challa had flown back to Wakanda to carry out his kings' duties.

"What if Katta actually is a former H.Y.D.R.A agent?" Bruce asked. "What would that mean?"

"Barnes is a former H.Y.D.R.A project as well." Tony pointed at Bucky. He grunted, not looking up. He hadn't said a word since they'd left the Stark tower.

"How do we convince her to come back with us?" Natascha asked Clint, who strung a new bow.

"She will not stay long enough in one place to talk to her if we don't make her," Clint answered. "She made it very clear that she isn't interested in joining us. Why force her?"

Tony peeked up. "Why is she running from us when she isn't a threat? Why not talk to us and prove that she's harmless?"

"Like you would have let her go afterwards," Clint muttered.

"Next time you suddenly discover your righteous side, stay at the Tower," Tony retorted.

Clint got up from his seat. "And let you kill her? No, thank you. She's family."

"Easy," Natasha sighed. "Nobody talked about killing somebody."

"You too?" Clint glared at her.

Natasha shrugged. "I'm just saying that Tony isn't wrong. We talk to her, and when we find that she isn't a threat, she can go. Right, Stark?"

Tony curtly smirked and nodded. He then looked at a screen in the Quinjet. "She just left the airport and took a taxi. The trace gets lost here." Tony pointed at a map and looked for a place to land the jet. Clint put the bow on his back and grabbed a few more arrows.

"No violence," he demanded.

"Unless she starts it. And you agree that we need a moment of surprise to get her," Steve said.

"Fine." Clint gritted his teeth. After all, she was a trained assassin. If Katta didn't want to be captured, they would have to make it quick. Before she could overthink.

After the landing, Tony hacked another few security cams and traced her to a building directly at the Thames. It didn't take them long to get there. Clint felt his guts churning. He hadn't told anybody about the call. It was like they were entering the lions' dent. She could be anywhere.

"Whoever manages the flats has good taste," Tony stated as they stood in front of the entrance.

"Which one is it?" Bruce looked up the building.

"The third one, look at the windows," Natascha answered. The mirrored surface was the only one that wasn't see-through. One after one, they entered the building and walked up the stairs until they stood in front of the right door.

"Alright, I'll knock," Tony grinned, stepping back. An iron glove spread over his hand with a touch at the ring on his finger. He pointed with his palm at the door and shot right through it.